Saturday, March 17, 2012

"7 in 7" - Episode 4 - Money Isn't Real George - Wisconsin Humane Society

The Wisconsin Humane Society is an organization that is incredibly dear to my heart because a little over 6 years ago I adopted my BFF (best friend forever) and cat Coach Gordon Bombay. Him and I have been through a whole lot and I love him with all of my heart. I was never much into animals growing up even though at two separate times during my childhood we had a dog named Lassie. And then we also had a cat named Gizmo, but I wasn't necessarily close to either of them. But something made me go out and adopt Gordon and in February of 2006 Jenny Reck came along with me and I took him home and our adventure began. We've been through a lot of shit together and he's moved around to no fewer than 6 apartments/homes over the years because I couldn't stay in one place for too long. And during this time, aside from the stomach-induced "I'm hungry" meow, he hasn't really complained about the change of scenery and lack of continuity. Truth be told I have constantly provided him with food, water and toilet as well as a comfy place to nap for 18 hours a day. And he's been the one who has been by my side (or on my chest as I lie sleeping) through it all. I love Coach Gordon Bombay more than anyone in the entire world. No offense Mom.

At the Humane Society they told me that Coach Bombay was from the streets and that someone had brought him in as a stray. They named him Greg, which is a rather unusual name for a cat. There's nothing unusual about naming him after a fictional Pee-Wee Hockey Coach from District 5 and Team USA though, right? I can't imagine him surviving in the cold dark alleys of Milwaukee on his own but apparently he did because he has the battlescars to prove it. He's missing one of his fang teeth and his tail is a little crinkled, but aside from that he is not in too bad of shape. Of course he's a little undersized and refuses to gain weight despite eating and napping all day long and the vet told me that he has a heart murmur, but aside from that he doesn't seem to be in any physical or emotional trouble. All that I know is that he is better off in my care than he is on the streets or locked up in a cage somewhere. That is why it is so important for people to assist the Wisconsin Humane Society through donations and participating in their adoption program because there are countless animals out there in need of a good home. And if we don't help the little guys, then who will?

I'm just one guy who did one small thing, but that doesn't compare to what the Wisconsin Humane Society has been doing for over 130 years. As a private non-profit organization funded entirely through the generosity of the individuals in the community and through the government, they rely on you to help them in their mission. They aim to provide a comprehensive adoption program that matches homeless animals with families, to provide medical care for animals as well as spay and neutering animals to prevent overpopulation, to provide educational programs for people on the care, respect, treatment and over-all well being of their pets and they also teach obedience classes for the animals themselves which allow them to live in a domestic environment. A pet can be a fantastic companion but without the organization to support and provide people with the opportunity to own one they would never know what it feels like to have one. I can't really do any better at describing how important the Wisconsin Humane Society is to our community than they do at their website http://www.wihumane.org/default.aspx, so I encourage you to go there for more information. And if you are thinking about getting a pet I strongly encourage you to do so from the Humane Society because there are plenty of animals of all shapes, sizes and ages that just want a nice home to live in and someone to love them.

I love Coach Gordon Bombay and he is the sweetest pet in the entire world. Every single day he does something cute like this and when he isn't curled up in a ball sleeping somewhere he's sitting on the kitchen table eating some plastic, headbutting my leg or meowing up into the corner trying to ward off some ghostly spirits before he tears around the house in a panic. And at night he cries at my feet while I am on here typing, begging for me to go to bed so that he can lay on top of me. Whenever I sit on the couch he has to sit on my lap or my leg and almost always has to be around me. It's funny the connection that we have and although I do joke about it that he is my best friend forever it is kind of true. I spend more time hanging out with him than I do with any other creature on this planet. What makes it funny is that aside from the occasional meow or the rumbling purr, it's pretty much a one-sided conversation as I am telling him about my day or pouring out my emotions. For the most part he's a pretty good listener, even if he pretends to be asleep during the majority of our conversation. Sometimes he walks away but I figure that is his way of ending the discussion. If only the Humane Society taught him how to use his words then I wouldn't have to play Jay to his Silent Bob and constantly be a foul-mouthed little chucklehead that has to a constant victim to his follies while I try to understand what he is trying to get at. It's always an adventure with Coach Gordon Bombay and he has taught me so much.


I don't know where I would be without Coach Gordon Bombay and I can't imagine living without him. I remember once when I was looking for apartments with a prospective roommate a few years ago and we were forced to limit ourselves because not all rental units accepted cats. This person (who I will not name) suggested the possibility that I get rid of him so that it would have been easier to find a place to live. It's one of those things that I couldn't believe was said and he was obviously not a pet owner. You can't just give away a pet after you have made the commitment and the emotional bond to it. A pet isn't some toy that you play with a few times and then cast aside for the next thing that piques your interest. A pet is a part of your family and not something that you can easily be without. That's one of the reasons why I kiss Gordon goodbye every single morning when I leave for work and give him a big ol' hug before I go out of town every day. I love him so much and I can't stand to be apart from him for too long. The week at Afterglow is so hard because I miss him so much and I wish that I could bring him along. But like I said before, not all places are accepting of cats so I all I can do is make sure that he is well taken care of in my absence. Which is why I leave him under the care of only my most trusted friends. Coach Bombay is too important to me to leave him in the care of someone I don't trust.


And speaking of trust, from my experiences and knowledge gained from research and personal interaction, there's no organization that I trust more than the Wisconsin Humane Society when it comes to taking care of animals. What they do in our community is nothing short of amazing and I encourage you to contribute to their efforts if you love animals or if you have benefited from their work. After all, it is up to us as the dominant species on this planet to help those that are less fortunate than us. Some animals prefer to be left alone in their natural habitats, but domesticated animals like cats and dogs just want to be loved and cared for. Now if you excuse me, I know a certain little Coach that it is dire need of a hug and a snuggle.

 - pookon -

No comments: