Friday, April 20, 2012

What's Brewing in the Crewbicle? - Week 1 - St. Louis Cardinals / Chicago Cubs

For several years now I have been keeping a daily log of the Milwaukee Brewers' seasons on my cubicle walls at work. At first it was just a win/loss display that I would update every day. Then I started writing a one or two sentence wrap-up of the game and now I write an entire paragraph of my reaction to last night's game when I get into work in the morning. It's a semi immediate reaction to the games and until now I didn't really share it with anyone except for a few people who would wander by at work to check out what I thought about the game. Everyone at work knows I'm a big Brewers nut. What gave it away? Was it the calendar? Or the posters? Or is it the game tickets that I pin to my wall? I know you can't see them yet as I have yet to attend a game in the 2012 season, but I hang up all my ticket stubs from home and away games and see how many I can get to in a given year. But my favorite thing is my daily post on the games because it serves as a blog of sorts in the old fashioned way - pen on paper. Thanks to modern technology I can now share those with you, and I will be updating this blog with a weekly post every Friday containing the previous week's games. So keep checking back for those throughout the season. And although I'm a little behind, allow me to present week 1 of the season and the first 2 series of the year - a 3 game series at Miller Park against the St. Louis Cardinals and a 4 game series at Wrigley Field against the Chicago Cubs.

Friday April 6 - Sunday April 8. Milwaukee Brewers vs. St. Louis Cardinals at Miller Park. Games 1,2 and 3 of 162. The St. Louis Cardinals are the new Chicago Cubs. I say that because I've hated everything about the Cubs since 1998 when the Brewers moved to the NL Central. And even though I still dislike Chicago, I'm sick and tired of St. Louis, even without LaRussa who I loathe. Shane Robinson? Lance Lynn? Who are these guys? And why does Rafael Furcal look like the 2nd coming of Ty Cobb when he plays against us? This is B.S. First series of the year and I'm already pissed off. Calm down pal. There's still 159 more games to go. It's a long season. Cardinals 11, Brewers 5. Brewers 6, Cardinals 0. Cardinals 9, Brewers 3.

Monday April 9. Milwaukee Brewers vs. Chicago Cubs at Wrigley Field. Game 4 of 162. Remember how I said I hate the Cardinals more than the Cubs? I must have been stuck in the moment. Every Brewers/Cubs game comes down to the final pitch and it tears my heart out and pisses me off. Why can't we win a game like 12-2? Why do we have to go into the 9th up 7-2 and squeak by 7-5 leaving the bases loaded and having to burn our closer? Christ man. My body can't handle that. But that also reminds me about how much I love baseball and how invested I am in the Brewers. To me it's not just a game. This is part of life. And I love it. It's not the most important part, but it is part of who I am. And I'm OK with that. Brewers 7, Cubs 5.

Tuesday April 10. Milwaukee Brewers vs. Chicago Cubs at Wrigley Field. Game 5 of 162. I was anxiously awaiting this game for several reasons. The biggest of which was seeing Chris Narveson. Say what you want about the Narv-dog, but if your #5 starter pitches well, you've got one hell of a rotation. Secondly I wanted to see how the offense would look the next day after playing some near perfect small ball. They were just fine, but got 4 of the 5 runs via the long ball. If they can mix it up and not rely on homeruns this team will be tough to beat. There were some issues with the bullpen again but better to iron that out now instead of in June and July when it really hurts us. Oh yeah. And the Cubs still suck. Brewers 7, Cubs 4.

Wednesday April 11. Milwaukee Brewers vs. Chicago Cubs at Wrigley Field. Game 6 of 162. This was a big game for Gallardo. Yes, he has poor numbers against St. Louis so Opening Day was to be expected. But he needed this bounce back start and came up huge by going 7 innings and only giving up 1 run. Then you set it up perfectly for K-Rod and the Ax-Man. Beautiful. The offense scuffled, but what can you expect from one that was missing Braun, Hart and Lucroy? But Dempster does have their number. But the Cubs are that bad. So let's not get too excited here. But a win is always good and tastes so much sweeter when it is one over the Cubs. Brewers 2, Cubs 1.

Thursday April 12. Milwaukee Brewers vs. Chicago Cubs at Wrigley Field. Game 7 of 162. Over the course of the season a pitcher or player is going to have a bad day. Look at Gallardo on Opening Day. Greinke had himself a bad day, but the Brewers offense (3 hits) and defense (1 error) didn't really bail him out like they did last year. So get over the loss today. 3 of 4 is damn good. Did you really expect a 4 game sweep? That's pretty hard even though the Cubs are not a good team. Good to get the series win. Now it's time to move out of the Neighborhood Dump and on to Hotlanta and carve up some Braves with their own axes. Scalp those savages! Cubs 8, Brewers 0.

After the first week of the 2012 season the Brewers sit at 4-3 which is alright. The losses to St. Louis hurt a bit because they were at home and are reminiscent of the NLCS last year when they came into our ballpark and whooped our butts. That still stings, so I was looking forward to some payback, but it looks like they still have our number. I know that it is still early but it looks like St. Louis is for real and we may be chasing them all year. But all I ask is that they continue to beat up on lesser teams like the Chicago Cubs and hang around .500 until they make some kind of run like they did in August of last year to put them over .500 for good. There have been some offensive, defensive and pitching struggles in the first week but that was kind of expected. But what can you really gauge from 7 games? When there are still 155 games left in the season you can't freak out. The baseball season is incredibly long (just ask anyone who isn't a fan of it and they will rant and rave about it messing up their summer commute that passes by the ballpark) and 1 week doesn't really prove anything. But it was still nice to get out of it with a winning record. Now on to some real competition at Atlanta and the LA Dodgers at home. That should be a true test to where we stand at this time of the year, but I have a feeling it can only go up from here. We're a good team folks. But even good teams will struggle at times. Accept that and you will have a great summer.

 - pookon - 

No comments: