Sunday, July 29, 2012

What's Brewing in the Crewbicle? - Week 14 - Houston Astros / All-Star Break

The Milwaukee Brewers traveled down to Houston to play the Astros in the final series before the All-Star Break. This would be a match-up of 2 very bad teams but at the same time the Brewers were technically still in the NL Central race. The Astros on the other hand can't wait to move to the AL West. They are shipping out all of their Major League talent as they go into full on rebuild mode. So excuse me if I didn't really pay attention much to this series. It meant nothing. Wins are always good. Don't get me wrong. But the sooner they lose games the sooner they will start to sell off their assets and retool for next year. Let's call it what it is - a lost season. Other teams see it as they are scouting Zack Greinke in preparation for trading for him so why doesn't Brewers management see it? Or maybe they do and they are just trying to appease the fans. Who knows man. All I know is that it has gotten pretty boring for me to watch Brewers games because there is nothing on the line. It doesn't matter if they win or lose so why should I hang nervously on every pitch hoping for the big strikeout or clutch hit?

That leads me into the next event of this week - The All-Star Game and the surrounding festivities. If I thought that the Brewers/Astros series didn't matter, then why the hell was I watching this shit? I don't know. I guess it's one of those things that I've always done and will continue to do because I don't have anything better to do with my time. It's amazing what my life has become. So you can read about what I thought about Prince Fielder winning the Home Run Derby or Ryan Braun finally getting a hit in the All-Star Game later in the article but before you jump down there check out this video of Kevin, BK and myself breaking down the Brewers 1st half of 2012. Or drinking a lot of box wine and acting like complete idiots in AK's backyard. I think we manage to do a little of both although I don't know because I haven't watched it myself yet because I don't need to see myself acting like a fool. I already lived it. But if you want to check out what kind of nonsense comes out of our mouths then I implore you to hit play on the video below. But don't say that I didn't warn you. But having Cousin Kevin, BK3 and the Ice in the same video should be warning enough for you. It's your fault if you subject yourself to this nonsense. But do it anyway. You know you want to.



Friday July 6 - Sunday July 8. Milwaukee Brewers vs Houston Astros at Miller Park. Games 83 - 85 of 162. It's kind of hard to remember the weekend. Although it is Monday it seems like it was so long ago. I listened to the game Friday night and knowing my Brewers history, I knew they were going to win. Gallardo has dominated Houston in his career to the tune of a 10-1 record with a 2 ERA or some shit. He went 6 innings, giving up just the 1 run. Houston is also a very bad team and got worse by trading away Carlos Lee. Saturday seemed like it was already in the books as a W, but Greinke got ejected after throwing just 4 pitches. He did allow a run and spiked the baseball after a close play at 1st. We lost all momentum from there and I didn't get to see the results because I was on my way down to Chicago to see Tenacious D. I got back to Milwaukee Sunday morning around 11am and intended on watching the game, but I passed out first outside in the sun and then on the couch. Greinke started this game as well and gave up all 3 runs, so congrats to Marco Estrada and the bullpen for finally doing their jobs and keeping us in the game. Apparently we went into extra innings again (Brewers lead the majors in extra inning games, the result of a weak bullpen and lack of clutch hitting) but we won. 5 games under .500 and 8 games behind Pittsburgh at the All-Star Break. Brewers 7, Astros 1. Astros 6, Brewers 3. Brewers 5, Astros 3.


Monday July 9. 2012 MLB Home Run Derby at Kaufman Stadium in Kansas City, MO. I watch the HR Derby every year. I have for some time. Probably every year since 2002 when I saw it in person while working at Miller Park during the All-Star Game and surrounding festivities. I suppose I was cheering on Prince Fielder this year because I still like the big guy. You can't blame him for taking the money and trying to get a ring. He wasn't going to do that in Milwaukee. A lot of people on Facebook, Twitter and the radio were crying because he left us and that kind of B.S. That's garbage and also why I ignore social media and talk radio most times. People are idiots. We're a small market team and he wanted large market dollars. Plain and simple. On the current scale he makes what he should and he out-priced himself off this team. That's why I've had it with that nonsense. So congrats to Prince. Well done. Keep winning things and I hope you win a World Series ring. After all, isn't that the whole reason you went to Detroit? Or was it really all about the money? Who cares and who knows. I'm done with this. 2012 Home Run Derby Champion - Prince Fielder of the Detroit Tigers.

Tuesday July 10. 2012 MLB All-Star Game at Kaufman Stadium in Kansas City, MO. I don't know why I watched the All-Star Game. I haven't watched a Brewers game on TV in weeks (I listen to them on the radio so I can get other shit done) but yet I wasted 3 hours of my life on this meaningless game. Sure, for whomever goes to the World Series it matters cause the NL has homefield advantage, but that won't be the Brewers. Halfway through the game I grabbed my guitar and started to jam, which is the best thing that happened that night. And yes, I understand Brauny went 2 for 3 with a RBI and a run scored. And that both of those hits were for extra bases (double, triple). I don't care that he got robbed of a single and would have had a chance at the cycle. And I certainly don't care that he made a great catch taking away a hit from former teammate Prince Fielder. So why did I watch? I have no idea. Just because I always have and I didn't know what else to do. That's just the way it goes I guess. On to the "2nd Half" of the season. National League 8, American League 0.

The Brewers have a couple of days off following the All-Star Game and then go on a crucial stretch against all 3 teams in the NL Central that are ahead of them in the standings - Pittsburgh, St. Louis and Cincinnati. Even though they are still 5 games under .500 and 8 games behind the 1st place Pirates, technically they still have a chance to get back into the race. I didn't believe that they could but that's because I checked out the minute Lucroy went on the DL but other people were still holding on. Since I'm like 2 weeks late on this we all know the outcome of that 9-game stretch but I'll let you wait to read my reaction when I post it in the next few days. Until then figure out something better to do with your life.

 - pookon -

www.pookon.com
email: pookondotcom@gmail.com
http://www.facebook.com/MilwaukeeIceman

No comments: