Friday, May 30, 2008

It must have been Divine Intervention

Who looks divine intervention right in the eye and blatantly says, "you're wrong"?

Who disobeys that heavenly order? Who has the balls to say no to God?

Who has the right to chose their own fate when we really don't have control over it?

Who has two thumbs and did all of the above? This guy.

On May 24th, I went across the street during my lunch break to purchase some alcohol (Seagram's 7) for that night because I was going to a social function that I knew was going to be awkward. My way of handling awkward situations is to drink, sometimes heavily, that way I can blame my behavior on the fact that I am drunk. It's the only time when I can be truthful and honest, and if people get weirded out, I can just apologize and tell them that it was the booze talking, not me. I was just about to walk into the store, and was putting my IPod into my pocket when I realized that my wallet was not there. It was then I realized that it was sitting on my desk back in the building, and as you all know, unless you are attempting to steal, you can't purchase anything without the necessary funds. On top of that, you need a government issued photo I.D. to but alcohol, so I was screwed even if I did have dollars on me. I figured it was God telling me not to drink tonight, and that it was Divine Intervention trying to change my life. I turned around to walk back to work, and almost admitted defeat until I decided to get my wallet and hustle back in time. I had to hurry, because I am only allotted a 30 minute lunch break.

Well it seemed like such a good idea at the time, but when Divine Intervention meddles with me, I meddle back! I should have known better than to piss off God, but I'd like to think that I can make my own decisions involving alcohol consumption. If God had wanted me to be calm, cool, and collected in social situations, he would have provided me with the means to do so without consuming alcohol. It turns out that the social gathering is until Saturday June 7th, 2 weeks from the date on which this occurred. I was so enraptured with the thought of consuming alcohol to cover my awkwardness that I was blind to God's divine intervention. It's time for me to stop listening to my brain and start listening to my heart. The heart knows better because it doesn't have the capacity to overthink and over analyze the current dilemma. There's a reason that people say follow your heart, because it's usually the right thing to do. I'd follow my gut, but my gut is always growling because it's got the hunger or it is pissed off because I gave it too much beer. Come think think about it, my gut is kind of a jerk.

So it was divine intervention after all. I really should have payed attention when the signal from God became abundantly clear. God was right, and I was wrong. Touche God, touche.

- pookon -

http://www.pookon.com/
email: pookondotcom@gmail.com

No comments: