Monday, July 28, 2008

Brewers vs Astros 7/25 - 7/27 : Series Wrap-Up

Series 34 - Milwaukee Brewers vs Houston Astros July 25 - July 27 at Miller Park in Milwaukee, WI

After that hugely successful road trip, the Brewers returned to Miller Park, a place where they have historically played well. I would not be available for these games because of previous commitments (my family vacation up North at Afterglow) but I was excited about them nonetheless. Since the Brewers had just won 8 games in a row, exciting was brewing and tummies were rumbling for some free George Webb's burgers. If the Brewers win 12 games in a row, then Webb's will serve up 1 free hamburger to every customer who waits in line on the designated day. It's only happened once (in 1987 when the Brewers opened the season by going 13-0) and the Brewers have come close one other time (I believe it was 2004ish) but this is the closest that they have come since. Although I always want the Brewers to win, I was secretly hoping that they would lose, because if they won, then I would have to miss out on the free burgers because I was out of town. I know that I selfishly placed myself and my own wants in front of the teams, which is why I am willing to accept full blame for the Brewers losing game 1 of the series and ending their winning streak at 8 games. My bad. From now on, I will stop putting the needs of the few (me) above the needs of the many (everyone else) cause I'm a real jerk if I think that it'll all work out. So forgive me Brewers nation, I know not what I do. All that aside, now let's get on with the wrap-up.

Game 1 (Friday) - Manny Parra (9-3, 3.72 ERA) vs Wandy Rodriguez (6-3, 3.18 ERA)

I usually get pretty excited about Friday games because I get off of work at 7:00, and I usually am able to watch the majority of the game. I watched the last half of the game, but to be honest with you, I really wasn't playing attention. It's not because the Brewers really folded in the 7th inning (although that certainly helped) it was because I was packing for my week long vacation at Afterglow Lake Resort in Phelps, WI. There's nothing in the world as sweet as that place, and my mind was a little preoccupied with anticipation of the upcoming week. It's a good thing that I had something to be excited about, because there was nothing in this game worth getting excited over. The Brewers scored a run early in the 2nd inning, but that was the only run that they would be able to push across the plate today. Manny Parra and David Riske combined to give away the game in the 7th inning by allowing 3 runs to score, but the loss cannot be blamed on them, since Parra went 6 innings and gave up only those 3 runs. No, the loss has to be blamed on the offense for failing to get more than 5 hits and 1 run against a Houston pitching staff that really isn't that good in my opinion. Normally I'd be pissed, but I had bigger fish to fry and better things to worry about. Tomorrow nothing else would matter. Final score Astros 3, Brewers 1.

Brewers record : 59 - 44, 2nd place NL Central

Game 2 (Saturday) - Dave Bush (5-8, 4.51 ERA) vs Brandon Backe (6-10, 4.73 ERA)

Although I call myself a fan of Dave Bush and defend him almost as much as I defend Rickie Weeks (one of my faults in life), I always worry when he takes the mound. But I shouldn't worry about Dave Bush when he pitches at home. Except for today. Since I wasn't watching this game on TV (I was too busy laying on the beach or swimming in the lake) I could only gather information from the scoring update text messages that I get on my phone. When I saw that the Brewers won 6-4, I got excited, but now after reading the Brewers wrap-up on their website, the game doesn't look as simple as the box score. The Brewers were down 4-2 in the 7th inning when Ryan Braun hit a two run homer to tie the game, then the Brewers finally scored with runners in scoring position in the 8th inning, then Torres worked the 9th for his 20th save on the year. It's good to get a win, especially after the embarrassing debacle that the Brewers called a game yesterday. I guess it really wasn't that bad considering that they didn't blow the game away by committing tons of errors, but it's always rough when your offense gets shut down. Good work by the crew, now let's win another tomorrow. Final score Brewers 6, Astros 4.

Brewers record : 60 - 44, 2nd place NL Central

Game 3 (Sunday) - Jeff Suppan (5-7, 5.04 ERA) vs Randy Wolf (6-10, 4.79 ERA)

Today was a rough day for me and for the Brewers. I don't know why the Crew had it so rough, but I know why I did. I raged it too hard up on Kurutz's Kourt at Afterglow, and S'd the B (slapped the bag of box wine for you non-CTers) too hard and woke up with a box wine hangover. I don't know if any of you reading this have ever had BW hangovers, but they are one of the worst ones in the world. There's a pretty good reason why they sell those 5 liter Franzia boxes for $9 - $11 dollars. Today was a day game, but I was more excited to hang out on top of the raft and eat lunch and drink beer. To be quite honest with you, I steered as clear away from this game that I possibly could have, and by the looks of it, I'm glad that I did because this game could have single handily ruined my day. Suppan and McClung combined to pitch 7 innings, allowing 16 hits (11 Suppan, 5 McClung) and 11 runs (8 Suppan, 3 McClung). Needless to say, both of them had a bad day. The offense scored some runs, but it just wasn't enough to overcome that deficit. This sucks. If I ever picked a day to voluntarily not pay attention to a game, this was it. But as far as I was concerned at the time, I couldn't care less about the Brewers. But just make sure that they don't hear this, becuse if they find out that I gave up hope and caring for a day, they would be devastated. Besides, I'm like the only one who still believes in Rickie Weeks. If he finds out he's lost his only fan (well, besides his Mom) then he may start to cry. I can't let him do that. I believe in you Rickie!! Final score Astros 11, Brewers 6.

Brewers record : 60 - 45,
2nd place NL Central

So we just swept a 4 game series of St. Louis at Busch Stadium, then lost 2 of 3 to the Houston Astros at Miller Park. Talk about being inconsistent. That's probably the biggest problem with the Brewers this year. There is no reason why they should have lost this series, but there's no sense crying over spilled box wine. The only thing that we can do from here is to not let this series negatively influence our play during the Cubs series. Since that is long and gone (but not from my memory, stupid Cubbies) I know that it lingered with them for a while. Losing at home sucks balls, and I'm sure that this won't be the last time that I'm closing out this blog entry with negative comments. But I'll part ways with you right now, and leave all that negativity brewing for my wrap-up on the Cubs series, because there is plenty of it to go around.

Next up - Milwaukee Brewers vs Chicago Cubs July 28 (Monday) - July 31 (Thursday) at Miller Park in Milwaukee, WI

- pookon -

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

haha i love it...bw hangover..i felt it a bit too sir