Friday, July 18, 2008

Brewers vs Reds 7/11 - 7/13 : Series Wrap-Up

Series 31 - Milwaukee Brewers vs Cincinnati Reds July 11 - July 13 at Miller Park in Milwaukee,WI

This is the last series before the unofficial halfway point known as the All-Star game. It's always important to go into the break on a good note, because most of these players (with the exception of Sheets, Hart and Braun) will have 4 days off to have this series play over and over in their head before they resume playing baseball. Sure, they'd probably tell you that they don't think about baseball during the break because they are too busy relaxing and spending time with their families, but you know that somewhere in their minds they are analyzing the first half of the season and looking forward to the 2nd half, where they will be trying to avoid the yearly 2nd half melt down and collapse. I never like when they lose to a division rival, but at least the Reds aren't nipping at the Brewers' heels for the Wild Card lead. Although a loss is never good, we could afford to lose, although using that logic doesn't make me feel any better about this series. I did feel good going in to this series, despite the split in the previous series with Colorado that should have been a series win. We've got Parra and Sabathia going against the lowly Reds, how can we lose the series? Pitching and defense. Pitching and defense lost the series. You already knew the outcome since this is a post-game wrap-up, but I still encourage you to keep reading. See you again at the bottom of the page, but for now on with the wrap-up.

Game 1 (Friday) - Manny Parra (8-2, 3.78 ERA) vs Josh Fogg (2-2, 7.94 ERA)

On Friday nights I usually only work until 7:00 pm CST, so that means that I am able to get home in time to watch the final 5 innings of the game if it started at 7:00 pm. I was super excited to watch this game, since Many Parra would going for win #9 (when he really should be going for win #11, but more on that later) against Josh Fogg, who has been most sucky this year. Everything was going great, as the Brewers had a 5-2 lead in the 7th inning. Mike Cameron, the supposed former gold glover who was supposed to shore up our defense, lost a line drive in the lights and dropped it, which eventually allowed 3 runs to score in the inning. I had my windows open because it was summer, but I bet the neighborhood heard more words that days than they should have, and I bet mothers were covering their children's ears. I was quite livid. I'd expect that out of Weeks, Hart or Braun, but not Cameron. I know people make mistakes, but veteran superior defensive players should not make those errors. Gold Glover my ass. The mistakes continued in the 8th inning, when Shouse and Torres (and a costly Bill Hall error) allowed the Reds to score another run. Torres threw a wild pitch with the bases loaded to allow the run to score, and I almost threw my TV through the wall. I normally don't get terribly angry during sports games, but today I was pissed because the Brewers should have and could have won today. The defensive miscues and pitching mistakes cost Manny Parra a win, and he will once again be stuck with 8 wins for the year. I don't mean to complain about 8 wins (versus 2 losses) because it is a great win/loss ratio, but he should be at 10-2 right now. Boo hoo, stop whining you're giving me a headache. Now we have to try and pull out a win against the fireballing rookie Volquez tomorrow, which doesn't seem very likely. Final score Reds 6, Brewers 5.
filler
Brewers record : 51 - 42

Game 2 (Saturday) - Seth McClung (5-5, 4.16 ERA) vs Edinson Volquez (12-3, 2.29 ERA)

To be quite honest with you, I didn't expect the Brewers to win this game. Braun publicly stated that the team played like they didn't expect to win during the series against the Boston Red Sox at Fenway Park, but that is the only time that a player has said anything. Did you really expect Seth McClung to outdo rookie phenom (and NL ERA leader) Edinson Volquez? If you did, then you are the World's greatest optimist. Seth McClung started out real bad, giving up a 3-run homer to Adam Dunn in the 1st inning, but then settled down to pitch 7 innings and strike out 7 batters. I was working at the park this game, and I get off at the bottom of the 7th inning. So that means that I was sitting up in the wheelchair section (#110) in the right field club level seats watching this horrific 9th inning. We were only down 4-2, then Eric Gagne came in and gave up 2 solo homeruns then allowed 2 more men to reach base. To make matters worse, Yost put in Mota, which I thought was like sending a man out to walk the plank towards his eventual watery grave. Mota was being sacrificed tonight, and I secretly said to myself that I hoped Mota allowed the inherited runners to score. I got my wish when he gave up a single that allowed both runs to score, then I started going apeshit up in the club level booing and yelling out "Say no ta Mota!" as people started to file out of the stadium. I never like to see the Brewers lose, but the only joy that I took out of this game was the feeling that Mota has to be cut soon, since he just really sucks balls and is now a Turnbow-sized liability to this team. Tough loss today, but hopefully the exposure of the back end of the bullpen will warrant some personnel changes. Final score Reds 8, Brewers 2.
filler
Brewers record : 51 - 43

Game 3 (Sunday) - CC Sabathia (8-8, 3.67 ERA) vs Homer Bailey (0-2, 7.00 ERA)
filler
Having lost the first 2 games in the series and looking to enter the All-Star break on a positive note, the Brewers would need some kind of magic to pull it off. Thankfully Doug Melvin pulled a rabbit out of his hat when he acquired CC Sabathia. CC is huge, and I'm not just talking about his 6'7" 290-pound frame; I'm talking about his presence on and off the field. His arrival has brought a winning attitude into the clubhouse, and his play today on the field was probably the single best performance by a pitcher this year. Sure, Sheets has had a few shutouts and complete games, and Dave Bush flirted with a no hitter and struck out 13 batters, but today CC pitched a complete game and hit a homerun, which turned out to be the winning run in the game. CC hit a Prince Fielder sized homerun to right field in the 3rd inning and the place went nucking futs! It's was sweet, but the place went just as crazy in the 9th inning when Craig Counsell sent a sac fly to right field to score Bill Hall with the game tied at 2, and the Brewers avoided the sweep. What made it sweeter was the fact that Francisco Cordero gave up the run (although it was charged to Weathers). How does it feel to be battling with Pittsburgh for last place? Just remember that you could have been playing for a good team. At least you have plenty of money to dry your eyes with. I just hope that it was worth it CoCo. Good win today. Final score Brewers 3, Reds 2.
filler
Brewers record : 52 - 43

So they narrowly avoided the sweep, but for a while there I wasn't sure. I bet the farm on CC and the Brewers to win the 3rd game in the series, so I was a little nervous until the end of the game. Don't tell the government, but I use online gambling sites to place wagers on the Brewers. It is supposedly illegal to gamble on the internet, but since these sites are housed overseas, so that government can't do anything about them. The only problem is that you have to go through a 3rd party (such as eWallet or Paypal) to deposit and withdraw funds from the site. I put $55 on the Brewers to win, and since they were heavy (pun intended because CC is a big guy) favorites to win, I only won $22. But hey, it was something. It was a hell of a lot better than losing $55, which was the other alternative. Although we lost the series, we are going into the All-Star break on a positive note, and Sheets will be the starting pitcher for the NL, and Braun will be the starting left fielder. Corey Hart is a backup, and the rest of the team gets a few days off to spend time partying or chilling with their families. I'd like to do a quick wrap-up on the All-Star game and Home Run Derby, but since I'm already behind, I don't know if I'll do it. Stay tuned though, and don't you go dying on me!
fille
Next up - Monday July 14th - The Homerun Derby; Tuesday July 15th - National League @ American League (the All Star Game) at Yankee Stadium in New York, NY

- pookon -

http://www.pookon.com/
email : pookondotcom@gmail.com

No comments: