Saturday, August 09, 2008

Brewers @ Braves 8/1 - 8/3 : Series Wrap-Up

Series 36 - Milwaukee Brewers @ Atlanta Braves August 1 - August 3 at Turner Field in Atlanta, GA

The Brewers returned to Turner Field to take on the Braves, and if they don't win 2 of 3 games, I'll be pissed. It's tough to ask your team to win a series on the road, but then again, we're going against a Braves team that has it's 3 best pitchers on the disabled list (Tim Hudson, Tom Glavine, and John Smoltz), traded away one of their best offensive players (Mark Texiera) and has major league batting average leader (Chipper Jones) also on the disabled list. That is a recipe for disaster if the main dish is winning. I advise you to read on, although by now you should already know the outcome of the series. Without further ado, on with the wrap-up.

Game 1 (Friday) - Jeff Suppan (6-7, 4.75 ERA) vs Chuck James (2-4, 9.47 ERA)

The credit for this game will most likely go to the Brewers offense, but I'd like to take the time to give some of that credit where credit is due - Jeff Suppan. The Brewers had just lost 4 in a row to the Cubs, and before that they had lost 2 of 3 to the Astros, so they desperately needed a win today. Winning begins and ends with pitching and defense, and the offense (to keep the food analogies alive) is the icing on the cake. Suppan pitched 7 shutout innings, and Shouse and Mota continued the trend by also shutting down the Braves. The Brewers offense came back alive, after only scoring a combined 11 runs in 4 games against the Cubs. In this game alone, they scored 9 runs, which my cousins and I thought was pretty ridiculous. Why couldn't they just have scored more against the Cubs? Gosh. Sometimes this game really pisses me off. But there's no reason to be upset right now, because the Brewers won. On the road. So I'm very excite. Wah wah wee woo. Final score Brewers 9, Braves 0.

Brewers record : 61 - 49,
2nd place NL Central, 1st place NL Wild Card

Game 2 (Saturday) - CC Sabathia (11-8, 3.28 ERA) vs Charlie Morton (2-5, 6.56 ERA)

Today's game was an Afternoon game, and although I was really sad that we were leaving Afterglow, I had some happiness in store for me because I could listen to the game on the radio on the drive home. I turned it on right at the beginning, and listened all the way through the end. CC Sabathia came out and dominated once again, and he was 2 outs away from yet another complete game. Saloman Torres came on to get the last 2 outs and his 21st save of the season. Prince Fielder hit yet another homerun, and although I haven't previously mentioned his recent homerun binge, but he has hit 5 in like the last 5 games. Fielder had 3 of the 4 RBIs today, and backed up his boy CC, who was impressive on the mound again. My favorite part of this game was when we stopped in Oshkosh to get some gas, and I bought a giant Slushee and one of those small 5-hour energy bottles. Why was that my favorite part of the game? Because I freakin' love Slushees, that's why. Oh, and those 5-hour energy bottles that work better than caffeine or energy drinks? I must be immune to them cause the 5-hour energy thing didn't do shit for me. But thankfully I was able to stay awake behind the wheel, and I'd like to think that I have Bob Uecker to thank for that. It wouldn't be the 1st time that Mr. Baseball saved my life, but that's another story for another day. Final score Brewers 4, Braves 2.

Brewers record : 62 - 49,
2nd place NL Central, 1st place NL Wild Card

Game 3 (Sunday) - Ben Sheets (10-5, 3.14 ERA) vs Jorge Campillo (6-4, 2.58 ERA)

The Brewers had become road warriors as of late, and were in line to sweep their 3rd consecutive road series, and had a great chance to do it with Ben Sheets on the mound. Only as of late, we had been getting a way different Ben Sheets. I was supposed to go to State Fair today, but instead I stayed home to watch the Brewers game and lay in bed. I was pretty partied out from the weeks' festivities at Afterglow, so I needed a day to readjust and decompress. Ben Sheets (and the Brewers offense too, both need to be held accountable) must not have known that I was going to 100 % commit my full attention to this game, since neither one performed admirably today. Sheets continued his downward spiral since the acquisition of CC Sabathia (I'm sensing a little ace envy), and the Brewers offense was kept off of the board by Jorge Campillo. In all fairness, Campillo has been excellent this year, and has beaten the Brewers in all 3 appearances against them this year. It's a good thing that the Brewers no longer have to face him or the Braves this year. Game over man. Final score Braves 5, Brewers 0.

Brewers record : 62 - 50
, 2nd place NL Central, 1st place NL Wild Card

Hey, so we won 2 out of 3 on the road, which is great. Sure, the sweep would have been amazing, but it would also be amazing if more than 5 people thought I was cool. Oh, and I know what you're thinking, more than 3 people already thing that I am cool. But then let me remind you that my family doesn't count. So yeah, less than 5 people think I'm cool. But don't worry about that right now, because the Brewers are getting back on a roll. Sure, it was disappointing to lose to the Cubs at home (to say the least), but at least we won 2 out of 3 against the injury riddled Braves. Now that's something that will help me sleep at night. We're still leading the Wild Card race, which is as good as ours unless we really tank it during the next few weeks. I don't see that happening, not this year, so I'll be dancing in October down Wisconsin Ave with the rest of the city. You better be there.

Next up - August 4 (Monday) - 6 (Wednesday) Milwaukee Brewers @ Cincinnati Reds at Great American Ballpark in Cincinnati, OH

- pookon -

http://www.pookon.com/
email : pookondotcom@gmail.com

No comments: