Tuesday, June 19, 2012

What's Brewing in the Crewbicle? - Week 9 - Pittsburgh Pirates / Chicago Cubs

In 2011 the Milwaukee Brewers were a Major League best 57-24 at home, by far being the most dominant team to play at Miller Park. I don't know if it is the fans, the comfort, the roof or the field dimensions, but as you can see you always had a damn good chance to see a victory. One of those teams that couldn't beat us at home was the Pittsburgh Pirates. I'm too many weeks behind to go and dig up stats, but we owned them for like 27 of 30 games at Miller Park or some shit. After sweeping the Dodgers in 4 games on the road I was licking my chops getting ready for the Pirates to walk into our den like a roast goose on Christmas Dinner. But there was only one thing - we were poor as shit and couldn't afford goose, it wasn't Christmas Dinner and these are not the 2011 Milwaukee Brewers. Ok, so that's a few things. I'm drunk and can't count. That was evident in game 1 when they came out and spanked us and left Brewers fans wondering just what happened to the Miller Park Mystique. But when you have all the injuries and under-performing players you are worse than the Pittsburgh Pirates. Damn that's a sobering thought. So much so that I'm gonna go get another drink to get those ideas out of my head and bring back the drunken cloud that prohibits me from thinking about that shit. I mean Pirates are cool and everything, but not when they pillage, plunder and rape my baseball team. Then they're just a bunch of assholes. Talk about having a double standard. But we have been down below deck looking up at the Pirates for the entire season, so why should this series be any different?

I'm sick of the Chicago Cubs. I wish that the team and their idiot fans could just stay home near the neighborhood dump and not come up here to bother me. And for the most part they did this time around. Now I understand that both teams are terrible this year and that it was a weekday series, but these were some of the smallest crowds that I have ever seen for a Cubs/Brewers series. Oh well. Who cares really. The Cubs have sucked, do suck and will always suck. I wish that I could say that we were any better but the Milwaukee Brewers have never won a World Series while the Cubs last won one well over 100 years ago in 1908. I sure hope that the Brewers win one in my lifetime but I guess if I have to take solace in the fact that that no Cubs fan alive has seen a World Series win and probably never will while I'm here on this planet. So I take joy in the failures of others. Revel in their misery if you will. That's no way to live life but sometimes I have to take the little things because at this point there is nothing left. This Brewers season isn't very fun. Plain and simple. I'll still watch the games because I'm a fan but it gets harder and harder to devote time to doing these write-ups every day and then posting them on here. I have better things to do with my life than complain and be upset. Life is too short to surround yourself with negativity. So here we go as we try to be positive. Good luck with that pal.  

Friday June 1 - Sunday June 3. Milwaukee Brewers vs Pittsburgh Pirates at Miller Park. Games 52 - 54 of 162. The Brewers are worse than the Pittsburgh Pirates. Think about that for a while. That's kind of depressing, right? But it's the reality. With half of our roster (and about all about all of the lineup on Sunday) being from the Nashville Sounds due to injury, we look like a AAA team. And there's a reason why players are at AAA - they're either young and not major league ready (Maldonado) or old and not good enough for the majors (Maysonet). You can't expect to win with these guys. Thankfully the pitching is keeping us 5-6 games around .500 but now that sweep over the Dodgers means nothing because we lost yet another series. And it was a very winnable one too. I think I'm past the point of caring anymore because what are you going to do? This team isn't very good. There's this thing called talent - they don't have any of it! Now we don't quite need angels to win in 2012, but I'd like to see The Six Million Dollar Man technology in action instead. We can rebuild him (Gamel, Gonzalez, Lucroy). We have the technology. Pirates 8, Brewers 2. Brewers 5, Pirates 1. Pirates 6, Brewers 5.

Tuesday June 5. Milwaukee Brewers vs Chicago Cubs at Miller Park. Game 55 of 162. I can't say that this was the worst game I've seen all year, and that's only because I didn't really see this one. Oh I was at the ballpark, but I didn't make it in until the 5th inning and when I was there I was too busy being wasted to know what was going on. Classic. I'm sure I shouted and heckled Brooks Conrad but all in all I didn't have much to look at or pay attention to. Gallardo gave up 5 earned runs but somehow still managed to strike out 10 over 6 innings of work. But the real story was Dempster who owned us once again as he blanked us over 7 innings, giving up 3 hits with the first one not allowed until the 6th inning. From what I am hearing today (or read this morning) it sounded rough. But the real rough part was that there was only about 25,000 or so people who watched it. That's the lowest I've ever seen for a Cubs/Brewers game but it makes sense considering just how bad these two teams are. This game was an embarrassment. They shouldn't have punked us like that. What a disgrace. Cubs 10, Brewers 0.

Wednesday June 6. Milwaukee Brewers vs Chicago Cubs at Miller Park. Game 56 of 162. This was a game that confuses me. What do I say/do? Should I be excited? Should I be like "meh..." Greinke is always dominant at home, but he isn't this good. 7 innings, 2 hits, 12 strikeouts. He was so nasty I thought he should get his mouth cleaned out with soap. But then again, it was the Cubs. But here's the thing - if he keeps pitching like this then we can't afford him once he reaches free agency. But if we stay 6 games below .500 by the trade deadline we don't have to worry cause he'll be gone. And what's with the offense. Granted Maholm is no Dempster, but how do the same players put up 8 runs the night after being shut out? That's what has driven me mad this year. I want to get excited about this team but every time that I do, they just let me down by losing a series to a team that they should beat. So here's to this game I guess. Who knows what tomorrow will bring but for now it's good to win. And even better - it's good to beat the Cubs. GO BACK TO THE NORTHSIDE YA BUMS! Brewers 8, Cubs 0.

Thursday June 7. Milwaukee Brewers vs Chicago Cubs at Miller Park. Game 57 of 162. It's funny how one moment in a game can change the way you feel.The big moment of course was Norichika Aoki's walk-off homerun in the 10th, only his 3rd career MLB homerun, 2nd of the game and 2nd that actually left the ballpark. Well done for the Japanese Import. We need step up performances like that if we are going to salvage this season. Another big moment (albeit a bad one) was when KRod gave up a 2 run homer in the 8th when we were leading 2-1. What's his deal this year? Randy Wolf deserved better after 6 2/3, 1 run (unearned) and he hasn't won a game since April. But all that matters is that we won the game and more importantly the series. That was very important id we want to talk about .500. But like I've been saying this entire year, none of this matters if we don't win the series this weekend against the San Diego Padres, who like the Cubs are the worst team in the NL. Talk to me on Monday and we'll see if they won that series too. Brewers 4, Cubs 3.

The Brewers are at 3-3 so far on this 9-game homestand with the hapless Padres coming up next. And then they go on the road to face Ned Yost and the Royals. Both series are very winnable and gives us a chance to climb back to .500. I can't believe that after winning the NL Central last year and making it to the NLCS we are in mid-June and are struggling at getting back to .500. What a joke. I'm getting sick of this kind of talk and I don't even know why I keep doing this. I think it's because at my very core I'm a diehard fan and can't imagine a life that doesn't involve Brewers baseball. So I keep on plugging away every day hoping that I am wrong about this 2012 team and that they can rebound at any time and turn this season around. Like I said last week I'm behind in posting this so I already know the results (and so do you) but why not stick around and go on this journey with me? I promise to entertain and give you a pretty unique perspective on this shit. That's all I ever try to do here over at the Ill Blog. Someday I'll figure out how to do that.
 
 - pookon -
 
www.pookon.com
email: pookondotcom@gmail.com
http://www.facebook.com/MilwaukeeIceman?ref=tn_tnmn

No comments: