Wednesday, November 28, 2012

The Drive to Stay Alive - Ep 5 - A Walk in the Jurassic Park

I love the movie Jurassic Park. To this day it is still one of my most memorable theater going experiences. When it came out in the Summer of 1993 I was 12 years old. Shit, was I really 12 years old when that movie came out? Damn now I feel old. The reason why it was so memorable was because this movie scared the shit out of me while at the same time making my childhood and current dreams (because I was still technically a child) come true because I was obsessed with dinosaurs. When all of the other kids wanted to be firefighters, doctors and astronauts, I wanted to be a paleontologist. Dinosaurs fascinated me because they were so gigantic and they represented a world unlike the one that we were a part of. What would have happened if the meteor didn't crash into Earth 65 million years ago and the dinosaurs survived? Would humans have even been able to evolve into the dominant species on this planet or would dinosaurs have reigned supreme? It's a tough question and one that we fortunately don't have to answer. But the night before I recorded this episode I watched the Jurassic Park Trilogy (yes, even the 3rd one which many people consider to be an abomination) so one could say that I had dinosaurs on the brain during this drive to and from work. But that's a good thing because it is a break from the norm where I have been talking about real life shit. Every now and then you have to break up the serious with a little silly talk like dinosaurs. So listen below if you want to hear what I have to say about these terrible lizards.



Right click and Save As to download a copy of The Drive to Stay Alive - Episode 5 - A Walk in the Jurassic Park, so that you can listen to it whenever you feel like it: http://pookonco.ipower.com/music/dtsa-ep5.mp3

I'm a really big fan of this movie series and especially The Lost World. There's something about the Ian Malcolm character so expertly portrayed by Jeff Goldblum that I just love. The biggest mistake that the series made is suffering the fate of so many trilogies and ending on an incredibly weak note. Jurassic Park III was doomed to fail as soon as the script was not based on a Michael Crichton novel and Steven Spielberg decided not to return to the director's chair. When you are missing those 2 elements (excellent source material and one of the greatest director's of this current film generation) you might as well just abandon the project. But the Jurassic Park series, like life, finds a way to carry on. And although this episode doesn't really follow any of the themes that I have laid down over the first few episodes it was what was on my mind that morning and evening as I was driving to and from work. I do want to use this podcast as a way to talk out my thoughts and feelings and hopefully correct my life, but that fact of the matter is that my life is so screwed up that talking about dinosaurs kind of makes sense. I don't really know how to explain it and at this time I am unable to provide a plausible connection between the Jurassic Park movies and where I went wrong in life nor am I able to make a connection with how these films will help me to set my life back on the path towards success. Look, I have no idea what I am doing here, but isn't that what life is all about? Show me someone who has it all figured out and I will show you someone who is living a lie. Nothing makes sense in life and we're all just wandering around trying to figure this shit out. And that my friends, is chaos.

 - pookon -

www.pookon.com
email: pookondotcom@gmail.com
http://www.facebook.com/MilwaukeeIceman
https://twitter.com/pookondotcom

No comments: