Friday, December 19, 2014

25 Brewers in 25 Days - 2014 - Overall Season Results

As I sit here on the night of December 19, I'm a mere few days away from officially putting 2014 behind me. But I put the 2014 Milwaukee Brewers season behind me a long time ago. It hurt. A lot. That's why it has taken me this long to write this article. Something just didn't feel right about this year. Vegas had the over/under at 79.5, so they didn't really expect them to be a winning team. I was out there in March and although I predicted that they would only win 84 games and miss the playoffs, I took the over on that bet. Since they (spoiler alert!) only won 82 games, I ended up winning that bet, but it didn't make up for what ended being a lost season. 

The season started out better than anyone expected. At the end of April they were 20-8, which was easily good for best in the Major Leagues (the next best team was the Oakland A's at 18-10). No one, and I mean it when I say no one, saw that coming. At the end of May they were 33-23 and in 1st place in the NL Central. At the end of June they were 51-33 (June 28th saw them at a season best 19 games over .500). They hit a skid going into the All-Star break with a 2-8 record from July 4th - July 13th, but still ended up at 60-49 and remained in 1st place in the NL Central. By the end of August they were 73-63 and tied with the St. Louis Cardinals for the division lead. And that's when everything went to hell. In September they went 9-17 and played themselves out of the playoffs and ended up finishing in 3rd place and becoming only the 5th team in Major League history (in the modern era)  to spend at least 150 days in 1st place and end up missing the playoffs. So it was a historical collapse. And I was there at the ballpark every day to see it.

I wish I could say that it was a waste of time. But that would be a lie. I loved every minute that I was at Miller Park and various other ballparks in March for Spring Training. All you need to do is visit my "Wearing a Sombrero" Facebook page to verify that I love this team with every ounce of my mind, body and soul. So I was there regardless of the outcome and I will always stick by my team through thick and thin. I may get upset from time to time, but that is part of being a fan. You ride the wave. You go with the flow. You maintain a level head during the ups and the downs. At the end of the day when all of the other bandwagon fans have fallen off, you will always be there for your team. That is why I stuck around until the end of the season even though others had given up. I will never give up. Goonies never say die. So here is my 2014 preseason predictions (in red) followed by the actual results (in blue). I'm hoping they are fairly accurate so that I can once again prove that I know my Milwaukee Brewers more than they know themselves.

Check out my first video which covers my Overall Results for the 2014 Milwaukee Brewers, recorded in The House of Iceman in Miltown, the center of the Universe:


I meant to record this video the night before when I was sitting in the dark listening to Enya at 3:30 in the morning, but I decided to pass out instead. So I recorded this the next morning after a couple cups of whiskey coffee. I have problems.

  • The Milwaukee Brewers will finish with a record of 84-78, which will be good enough to make me some money in Vegas but not good enough to make the Playoffs. The Milwaukee Brewers finished with a record of 82-80, which is technically a winning season. They did not make the playoffs, but I did win my bet and the ticket paid me $45.00.
  • The St. Louis Cardinals will finish in 1st Place, the Pittsburgh Pirates in 2nd, the Milwaukee Brewers and Cincinnati Reds will battle it out for 3rd and the Chicago Cubs will finish in 5th (otherwise known as last) place. The St. Louis Cardinals did finish in 1st place (92-70 record and won the NL Central). The Pittsburgh Pirates finished 2nd in the division but won the 1st Wild Card. The Brewers were 3rd, the Cincinnati Reds were 4th and the Chicago Cubs finished in dead last.
  • The Milwaukee Brewers will be represented by Carlos Gomez and Jonathan Lucroy to the 85th MLB All-Star Game at Target Field in Minneapolis, MN. The surprising start of the Milwaukee Brewers and their 1st place standing at the All-Star break garnered them 4 All-Stars - Carlos Gomez, Jonathon Lucroy, Aramis Ramirez and Francisco "KRod" Rodriguez. I purchased an Aramis Ramirez All-Star jersey because I already owned a Carlos G0mez (from 2013) and figured Lucroy would have plenty of opportunities in the coming years. At 36 years of age, you have to figure this was Ramirez's last All-Star appearance. Besides, he was voted in by the fans to start the game. How could I ignore that honor? 
  • Thanks to the 2nd Wild Card, the Milwaukee Brewers will be in the playoff race deep into September, which should allow them to once again draw over 3 million fans. The Brewers ended up drawing almost 2.8 million fans at Miller Park and were eliminated from the playoffs on September 25 (in game 159 of 162).
  • Because of this brutal Wisconsin Winter which will carry on seemingly forever, the roof at Miller Park will remain closed until Memorial Day. I'm too drunk right now to do the research, but it seemed like the roof stayed closed for a very long time. I don't think that it necessarily lasted until Memorial Day, but it was pretty damn close. 2013-2014 was the Winter that never ended.
Sometimes I hate being right. Even though I didn't want to admit it at the time, I had a feeling that the Brewers weren't going to make the playoffs. But that didn't stop me from holding on to one last hope that it could actually happen (despite every single other thing pointing at the opposite). With that in mind, I put down my deposit for playoff tickets. My playoff tickets arrived in the mail 2 days before the Brewers were officially eliminated from the playoffs. That was probably the biggest punch in the gut that I've ever received from this team. I've had season tickets several years now (2015 will be the 3rd year with my 20 game pack and I also had a 10 game pack in 2 other seasons) but I never was in a position to purchase playoffs tickets (since I didn't have them in 2008 or 2011). Holding in my hands the physical reminder that we should have been in the playoffs made this year sting so much more. I'm very emotional when it comes to the Brewers and I ride the highs and lows. But I've never been this angry before. I was ready to jump ship and start over with a new franchise, but I realized at this point in my life I was in too deep. I've been a Brewers fan my whole life, have 2 Brewers tattoos, have worked at Miller Park for 13 years, have spent way too much money on them, have a closet full of apparel, almost every bobblehead they've ever given away and I watch or listen to 150 games a year. After that kind of involvement, it's not so easy to walk away. After the anger subsided, I threw them some additional money and guaranteed season tickets (once again a 20 game pack) and a chance to purchase playoff games again in 2015. I'm stuck being a a fan of the Milwaukee Brewers. 2014 did not end how we wanted, but as you will see in the next couple of articles/videos, there were a couple of good things that happened this year. It's too bad that all we will remember will be the final result. 

 - pookon -

www.pookon.com
https://twitter.com/pookondotcom
https://www.facebook.com/MilwaukeeIceman

No comments: