Wednesday, January 28, 2015

25 Brewers in 25 Days - 2014 Recap - 3rd Base

I bet Aramis Ramirez felt real old in 2014. I felt his pain. He turned 36 years old this week. I turned 33. Life was rough for me as I tried to pretend I was still young as I hung out with the kids trying to keep up. It didn't work. No matter how much my brain or my heart was in it, the body just couldn't keep up. I imagine that this is what Ramirez felt like. I don't mean to knock him in any way, because I'm sure the guy could kick my ass. He's in better shape than I could ever dream to be. It's just that playing professional sports (and 162 games in like 180 days) has to take a toll on the body. You don't recover as quick as you once did. You don't have that bounce back the next day. You don't wake up in the morning with that same old pep in your step. I get it. It happens. While this is no excuse, it probably contributed to his mediocre season. He would never admit it (because why would you?), but there comes a time when you just aren't what you used to be. At that point, you think about hanging it up and calling it a career. I did it with Beer Pong. Maybe it's time for Ramirez to do it with baseball.

He really didn't have that bad of a year when you consider it. But aside from the batting average, his numbers were below his career norms. His homerun totals have decreased considerably and his RBIs are not sufficient for someone batting in the cleanup spot. He's in a position (and he's getting paid) to drive in runs, so when he doesn't, you have to hold him accountable for that. He didn't get the job done. If you want to put his season on paper, in black and white, clear as crystal, he didn't steal fizzy lifting drinks. He didn't bump into the ceiling which now needs to be washed. He didn't break the rules. But he DID lose. And he will not have a good day Sir. He was a disappointment. Sorry that I have to label him as that, but I'm done playing nice. The 2014 season really rubbed me the wrong way and I need to take out my anger on someone. Players need to be held accountable and fingers need to be pointed. This one is pointed directly at you Aramis.

Never even mind the money. The money given to professional athletes these days is absurd. As far as the game goes, Ramirez made what a guy of his experience and career averages should make. So let's throw that out the window. The window. The 2nd story window. He's in a position that demands production both in the lineup (batting 4th) and on the field (3rd base). You are paying him for results. He didn't deliver those results. That is the bottom line pal. At that point it is what it is. I don't really have anything to say about his 2014 season, so let's just skip to the part that you all came here for - the ridiculous videos that I do. I don't know how or why it has come to this, but I'll gladly step out of the way and let this motherfucker ascend to the throne. What? He's better than me. Why fight it? You can either stand here and die by the sword or capitulate to the enemy, live out your life and fall in line behind him. I'd rather live in shame than to die with honor.

Check out my 5th video, which recaps 3rd Base for the 2014 Milwaukee Brewers, recorded outside of my house on a Sunday morning. This was during a real bender of a weekend, so I had no idea what was going on at the time. I tried watching it just now, and I still don't have any idea what is going on. Classic.



My house is the home of the Iceman (at least for the time being). This is where I spend the majority of my time and it is also my fortress of solitude (and of no ladies). This is hardly a facility that houses major league talent, but I'm afraid this is all that a man of my statue and build can muster up on short notice. That's just the way life is pal. I'm dealing with it. I don't know why you are having such a hard time with it.

Aramis Ramirez #16 - .292 batting AVG, .365 OBP, 24 HRs, 97 RBIs and a chance to prove that he's only as old as he feels. And I know he's married and has kids, so he won't be feeling up any young hot totties. So Rami - how about throwing some of them my way? Spread the wealth pal.

.285 batting AVG, .330 OBP, 15 HR, 66 RBIs, 133 games plated and another year lost to injury. He ended his 3 year deal with the Brewers on a real down note. He wasn't the sole reason why the Brewers didn't make the playoffs, but his lack of offense in September was as bad as my lack of sexual interaction with the ladies.

I hate writing negative things. I don't want to sit here and tell you something that you already know and rehash some bad times/memories. I want to go out on a good note and finish this up with a hug or a pat on the back that will let you know that everything is going to be OK. But I can't do that. I won't sit here and lie to you. And you know what? There is NO Easter Bunny! Over there, that's just a guy in a suit! And a schooner IS a sailboat, stupid head. And Aramis Ramirez was a shell of his former self in 2014. You can blame his age, the injuries or you can blame Canada. You can even blame it on the rain. 'Cause the rain don't mind. And the rain don't care. You got to blame it on something. Blame it on the rain that was falling, falling. Blame it on the stars that shine at night. But whatever you do don't put the blame on you. Blame it on the rain yeah, yeah.

Did you hear that Ramirez? According to Milli Vanilli, you don't have to stand in the mirror in the morning and place the blame on yourself for what happened in the 2014 season. You can blame in on the rain. It wasn't your fault that the offense crumbled in September that led to your team missing the playoffs. So what if you hit .217 with 1 HR and 5 RBIs in September. This is a team game, right? You can't possibly blame just one guy for the team's faults. The Jackson 5 puts the blame on the boogie. Would you do that as well? Good luck with that one pal. Not many can reach the level of success and notoriety that they did. I doubt that you would be able to follow in their footsteps. But if you do, please let me know when it happens, because I would love to ride your coattails forever and ever so that I don't have to do shit for the rest of my life.

- pookon -

www.pookon.com
https://twitter.com/pookondotcom
https://www.facebook.com/MilwaukeeIceman

No comments: