Sunday, March 15, 2015

Life is a Real Precious Thing

I recently got another opportunity to take a look at not only my life, but also the life of someone else. I don't really have too much to say about it, so I will try and keep it brief. Life is beautiful. Life is an amazing thing. You get a reminder of that when you view someone else's life through a series of pictures set to music. Of course that's not their entire life. There's so many little moments that fill in the gaps in between the life moments that were captured on film or digital device. But these are highlights of the good times. That's what pictures truly are. Besides war photographers and people who are sick bastards, who takes pictures of the sad times? Pictures offer a brief look at a moment in someone's life and it allows you to get an idea of what their time was like on this Earth. But of course it doesn't tell the whole story. 

What it does do is spark conversation. You may see a picture and then ask the person who took it for more details. You may ask a person who is in for the story that lead to this snapshot. You may find out that there were some people that were there who somehow didn't make it into the picture. They have their story. Something in the picture may catch your eye. It could be something in the background or something somebody was wearing or even the way that the photograph was framed. Either way, it's a starting point for figuring out what that person's life was all about. I got the opportunity to get to know somebody through pictures. Somebody that I never met. I liked his life. I liked his family and I liked his friends. I liked the good times that he had and I feel bad that he's gone. How can you feel an emotion for somebody that you don't know? It's rather simple actually. You put yourself in the shoes of somebody who did. If you can't do that, you just sit back and look at the pictures.


My cousin Kelly asked me to put together a slideshow for her friend Nick Schaal, who unfortunately left us too soon about a month ago. Like I said, I never met the guy, but it was a privilege to be one of the people granted the opportunity to tell his story. I didn't take this assignment lightly. I know how important these pictures slideshows are. I had a hand in selecting the pictures that appeared in my brother Timmy's memorial at his funeral and I put together one for our Grandma back in January. But this was the first time I did something for someone who I didn't know. But that doesn't matter. I don't have to know someone to know how precious their life was and how important it is to properly convey that. Every life is precious, so don't don't waste too many moments of it. Unfortunately we have been given too many reminders of how quickly it can end, so live every day by having picture worthy moments. Some day it will all end, but hopefully you get the chance to live a long and full life. Not everyone is given that chance, so be thankful for every day you get towards that goal. 

 - pookon -

www.pookon.com
https://twitter.com/pookondotcom
https://www.facebook.com/MilwaukeeIceman

No comments: