Thursday, November 03, 2005

Making an impact on this world

One of man's greatest thoughts is that when they leave this world, they will be remembered in some way, shape or form. Everyone wants to make a lasting impact, no matter how that is. Look at people like Albert Einstein or Michael Jordan; people that will be remembered until history is no longer taken because society itself has crumbled. Throughout time, people have struggled to leave their mark in this world, accomplishing such feats as painting a masterpiece on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel like Michelangelo or writing the framework for our country's behavior like John Hancock, these people will be remembered no matter what happens. That puts a lot of pressure on people like me who have nothing to offer to this world. Lynyrd Skynyrd had it right when they penned the song Freebird, "If I leave here tomorrow, will you still remember me?" Well, will you? What have I done in my life that people will talk about me in 20 years? Do I really mean anything to anyone? What could I possibly do to make myself stand out in front of these 6 billion people in this world? Unfortunately, I'll never know, and it will never get any easier. Geez...

I guess I'll keep on trying to accomplish something so spectacular that not even the failure to record history can keep my story from being passed down from generation to generation. And if I don't, I won't be any different than the billions of other names that time has forgotten. All I hope is that I've positively impacted the people that are a part of my life, and that they are better off because of what I've done...

www.pookon.com

No comments: