Friday, April 04, 2008

Peas and Rice

"Peas and Rice" was used by Simon Pegg in the movie "Hot Fuzz" as a TV/Airline safe dubbing of "Jesus Christ". Most movies when edited for TV/Airlines redub lines, and often they are so far off that the effect is comical. It's like in Happy Gilmore - instead of Adam Sandler yelling out "The Price is Wrong, bitch!" he shouts out "the Price is Wrong, Bobby!" How many times have you ever heard of someone refering to Bob Barker as Bobby? I never have. Watch the unedited version of a movie enough to memorize the lines, and then watch it on TV. I guarantee that they cut out all of the good stuff. And yet I still watch movies I own on TV when I'm flipping through the channels. I could easily walk over to the TV and pop in the DVD, but I don't do it. And I hate commercials!! Sometimes I just don't understand myself. Yippee-kay-yay, melon farmer.

My sister and I started code talking as a way to use swear words around our parents without technically getting in trouble. We actually started it around our Dad, mostly because he allowed us to swear. We thought that it was funny that we chose not to swear even though he didn't mind. Our Mom, on the other hand, would even let us say hell or dang growing up. That always made me want to say it even more because it was banned. I also wasn't allowed to watch PG-13 or R rated movies until I was age appropriate, because those movies featured language and situations that I wasn't old enough to comprend. To a point, I can understand her reasoning, but I'm now 26 years old and I'm still not allowed to say shit or damn in front of her.

My Dad allows us to swear, which is why we refuse to do it. "What the hell?" becomes "What the H?" Statements containing the F-word (I still reserve from using that word in full, because I think it is the harshest of all the swear words) still hold their impact by replacing the word with an F. Like, "Let's go to the F-ing store, B." Basically, you just use the first letter of the word in place of the word itself. It doesn't sound very original, nor does it sound funny, but to us it is because it is so ironic. We've started to include other words that are not swears into our code talk, such as calling Lassie and Gracie (my Mom's dogs) DB's, or Dog Bags. My Dad gets confused as to why we code talk, but we just tell him that we can say whatever G D S we want and that his MF-ing A can't to anything to stop us. OK, that's being a little ridculous, because we never say things like that directly to another person. That's just rude. There are limits here, because when you code talk, people still know exactly what you are saying because the code really isn't that hard to crack. It's not like geniusus came up with this S.

Basically, Jenny and I just say it to each other because we know that we can handle talking to each other in this innapropriate mannor. If Jenny tells me that my S is W, I call her a B and we laugh. She'll try to punch me, and I'll run like H to get away from her A. That's just the way it is. I pretty much talk like this exclusivly in front of Jenny, but we have started branching out to include both honorary and actual family members, but that's about as far as it goes. You might have noticed a little code talking going on in the commentary on my website. It allows someone to know what you are saying without actually saying it. It allows you to be Bad-A without technically saying something that is offense to someone. They know what you meant, but who's to say that I'm not implying Bad-Apples when I say Bad-A? You can't prove it, and I'll keep on doing it until someone outlaws me from talking that way.

- pookon -

http://www.pookon.com/

No comments: