Saturday, February 11, 2012

"7 in 7" - Wasting Away Again in TVLand - Day 5

Despite what my body will tell me in the morning, I'm still going to say that there is nothing wrong with eating nachos after midnight. I'm no mogwai so I don't have to worry about eating after midnight though I should be concerned a little bit because eating right before you sleep tends to put a little thickness in your midsection. But yesterday I wasn't worried about that. Hell I wasn't worried about anything because I had a chance to talk. And not just talk like "Hey how are you?" "Fine, how are you?"bullshit that is referred to as smalltalk. I hate smalltalk. If you really want to know how I'm doing come sit down with me for a few hours and we'll really talk about it. How I am cannot be summed up in one or two words. It takes time. Luckily these days I got plenty of time to go around and can have one of those conversations that leaves you feeling light as a feather because you let so much weight fall off of your shoulders. And it completely came out of nowhere too.

I was planning on just going home last night and sitting around by myself. I didn't have any plans because I don't have a social calendar that dictates my Friday nights. I was probably going to play guitar or something because I hadn't done it in a few days and that was one of my goals this week. Who knows what would have happened. And no one will ever know because something else happened. My good friend and former roommate "Hollywood" Fresno Chris called me up wanting to go out and grab a couple of beers and chat. It had been a long time since we hung out (we tried to figure it out and came to the conclusion that it was at least before Christmas) but I mostly blame myself for that. Unless I'm hanging out with Jenny Reck I hardly ever spend any time on the Eastside. That's such a huge change considering that I spent the best years of my life (ages 21-30) down there and never considered moving out into the 'Burbs with Tom Hanks and Corey Feldman. So we met up at Champions for a couple of High Lifes and talked for like 3 hours. I'm not going to get into the conversation details because that was between us but I will say that it was exactly what I needed. Writing about my thoughts and feelings is one thing but it's always nice to get some instantaneous feedback on them as well from a live person. You can't keep all of your thoughts and feelings bottled up inside for too long and I was glad that he called because writing this blog this week has made me realize that I have yet to process and deal with a lot of shit. In a week all about time it was very odd and very fitting that he called me to hang out. The timing of it was certainly in line with what has been going on lately. It's weird how things happen sometimes.

With nothing left to offer about my Friday night I want to add a few things I forget to mention about Thursday night's driving adventure. When I was at the Slinger House there was a regular at the other end of the bar who was partied out like Phil in Wayne's World. He couldn't have looked more like him. His eyes had dark circles around them and his hair was frayed. It was something like 7:30pm and he looked like he had been there since the bar had opened. He didn't talk to anyone and he just sat there on his bar stool trying to sit upright. I wanted to be like, "Ok - This guy needs coffee and crullers, stat!" then take him with me and put him in the back seat of my car. Jenny would then magically appear and give him a crumpled up dixie cup and say, "If you're going to spew, spew into this." I would then give Jenny a no-honk guarantee. I've run into a lot of people in my life but I have never met Phil from Wayne's World's doppelganger. If that was all I got from yesterday's adventure I would have been satisfied with it. But as you read I took so much more out of it. But I forgot to mention Phil. I take a week away from movies and I forget all about them. And I forget the two movies that have shaped the relationship between Jenny and I. She's the Garth to my Wayne. And while all of you might find this story funny she's the only one who will find it hilarious. I met Phil! And if I go back there sometime and visit him at his job at the Auto Repair Shop he's gonna be like hey do you remember that night at the Slinger House when the Bearded Townie played all of that angry music and the bartender gave him money to put on something with less screaming? And I'll be like Phil, I was there. Have you gone mental? Hello!

Another thing that I forgot to mention was that I drove past a baseball field that I used to go watch my older brother James play on. Two of my favorite things to do during those days were going to see Timmy play shows and watching James play softball. I don't know why it was so entertaining but it seemed so much more personal because I had someone to root for or be entertained by. I would have gone to every game or every show if I could have and I did my best to make it to every one. These are two of the things missing most from my life now seeing that Timmy is gone and James lives in South Carolina. Even though I can't get either of those things back I'm thankful that I appreciated them while they were around and made sure to take every opportunity to enjoy it. You never really think that someday things will change and all of this would be gone, but something always told me that I needed to be there. I don't listen to myself a whole lot because I'm a liar but every now and then I spit out some truth and rock my world years later. I don't know what more to say about this because it is what it is. I guess that times were pretty good back then and I feel like even if I try really hard I will never be able to have things be as sweet as it was back in the day. But ain't that the truth. But not really even. I call it the nostalgia effect. And my best example is this. I love Miller Park. Hell of a stadium and one of the best out of all the ones that I've been to. But I still long for the days of County Stadium because I grew up there going to games with James and our Dad as part of the Coca-Cola Kids Club. But County Stadium was a dump and desperately needed to be replaced. If I could go there now I bet it wouldn't be nearly as cool as it exists in my memory. I like it more for the memories and not as much for what is was. We always look at the past with such high regards because we don't think the future will be as good. I don't know what the point of that all was so I'll move on.

He played for a lot of different softball teams and so may various locations all around the place but I remember this place vividly. I have no idea where it is except that it is near Holy Hill. I remember this field well because that summer I was hanging out with this girl and I brought her along there with me. We got there early so we hung out in the bar and she ordered an Irish coffee. I thought this to be a little weird but so was she. In fact she was so different than any other girl I've ever known that I didn't make a move. I was scared for some reason I guess. That or I was young or stupid or some shit. Whatever the case may be I screwed that one up big time. I hate to be cliche but she's the one that got away. I hate myself for messing that up but I suppose everything happens for a reason, right? Because everything is happening so great right now because of it. Hell of a time I'm having being single and alone, living with my Mother. Real winner we got on our hands here folks. I suppose I could try to make up for it and some shit but I'm too busy being bitter and dwelling in misery. I think I like being sad. It always gives me a reason to bitch and complain. And I hate happiness and happy people. They drive me crazy. Sad kitten don't care. Sad kitten don't give a shit.

But I got nachos last night. And when you have nachos you don't care about anything else. I wish I lived in a world where I had nachos all of the time but I don't think I could live in that world. Something tells me that my body would fail after a few weeks of unlimited nachos. All those nachos is too much for anyone to handle, even for a born-again Mexican like me. Now if I was a real Mexican I might be able to work around it but sadly there is no reset button in life where I could have been raised as Rico Barrientos, the little hombre de hielo from the Mexican town of Huejutla de Reyes. My new goal in life is to vigorously train my body to accept nachos as a form of sustenance. It might take me a while and I may take my body to the edge and back in order to do it but this is something I want damn it! And we may have just found our next "7 in 7" entry. Eat nothing but nachos for a week and see if I'm still alive. I'm willing to try it if you stand by with the number to 911 and a portable defibrillator. At this point does it really even matter? Giving up something or taking on something is nice and all but will it will change your life? 

And so another day comes to a close on the no TV/movies portion of "7 in 7" and I don't know what to think about it yet. I don't think I have come to any kind of conclusion yet but at least I still have a few days to figure that out. God may have rested on the 7th day but on Sunday I will be in deep thought and reflection as I try to figure out what all of this means and why I should keep on doing it. But that of course is another topic for another day and I'm just using words as filler because I forgot to include the official "7 in 7" picture in today's post. I could say anything I want down here because you're no longer reading. Admit it, I lost you at nachos and you went out to the store and fired up the crock pot to warm up some melted nacho cheese. And make sure that you invite me over because I haven't had nachos in like 15 hours and I'm already starting to get the shakes. Hmm.... Not quite enough text down here. I would hate to be a zoo worker. I wonder how much they get paid to clean up elephant and rhino shit. You'd have to pay me the big bucks for sure. Especially if they asked me to clean up after the monkeys. You know that they throw their own poop right? I better be getting more than minimal wage if I'm dodging monkey poop like Neo in the Matrix. There may be no spoon but there definitely is something all over your khaki zoo worker shirt pal. He's the One. Yeah the one who cleans up monkey shit. Go clean out the giraffe habitat Mr. Anderson. My name is NEO... No, your name is guy I pay to clean up the shit that I don't want to. Where we're going we don't need roads. Well Doc Brown you may not need roads where you are going, but you will need this shovel and the hefty hefty cinch sack to clean up after the black bears. When this baby hits 88 miles per hour you're going to see some serious shit. Why? Does the DeLorean poop? I know that everyone poops but I thought that 1980's sports cars retrofitted to be time machines were exempt. Ok I've wasted enough of your time today. Go out and make a change. Or don't. Do what you want. Just make sure that it involves nachos. Nachos rule.

 - pookon - 

No comments: