Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Happy Quantum Leap Day!

As much as I love Quantum Leap and the adventures of Dr. Sam Beckett traveling through time with the help of his holographic guide Admiral Al Calavicci, this article is not in celebration of the popular TV show. This is merely an excuse to post an entry on today, Leap Day, because I only have that opportunity to do this once every 4 years. I started this blog in 2005 so I obviously missed out on 2004's Leap Day. In 2008 I posted something about Beer Pong on February 27 but somehow didn't take the opportunity to celebrate Leap Day 2 days later when it popped up for only the 7th time in my life. When something doesn't happen that often it should be celebrated. I know that there was nothing I could do about it, but I was not able to see Halley's Comet the last time that it passed close enough to Earth. While I could sit and blame myself, it is so much easier to blame my parents because they probably sent me to bed right around nightfall seeing as I was only 5 years old in 1986. I missed out on that golden opportunity to see something so majestic in the heavens by virtue of the fact that I was just a little tike. If I live to be 80 years old I will find myself staring at the night sky in the year 2061 when it makes its' return. Given my recent state I doubt that I will live that long but here's hoping, right? That is why I decided to do something special with my Leap Day because I won't be able to get another one until 2016. And if the Mayans are correct we're not going to live that long so live it up while we are still here.

I woke up like usual today. Coach Bombay cried all morning until I gave him breakfast. Then I made myself a grilled cheese sandwich. I then went to work like normal. 8 hours later I was thankfully able to leave that prison for the night. I will be checking back in tomorrow morning for another shift. But after leaving work I had a pretty damn good night. I hung out with my best friend in the world Jenny Reck and I showed her that I learned how to play Seal's "Kiss from a Rose" on guitar. Yes, I did take the time to learn that song after hearing it on the radio the other day. It's amazing what random songs you can play when you let your imagination take you there. Then we went out for dinner at SoLo (formerly the Oakland Trattoria) for some vegetarian pizza, salad, focaccia bread and long islands. And to cap it all off we played Helicopter Hats (Super Mario Bros. for Wii) for an hour. You might not think that is something special but you also probably don't laugh when we say in Princess Peach's voice, "Oh Nooooo!" Jenny and I have almost the exact same sense of humor which makes every minute we spend together the best minutes ever.



I did next to nothing today in the grand scheme of the world but yet I feel like I did so much. That's because I spent it with one of the people that care the most about in the whole world. Life isn't about money, or things, or what you did or accomplished; it's about the people that you did it with. My roommate has this picture frame with a family picture in it that says, "the best things in life aren't things" and although cliche, it's pretty damn true. I miss Timmy every second of every day but as long as I still have Jenny everything will be ok. I wish that I could pull a Dr. Sam Beckett and leap back into Timmy's body in April of 2011 and change his life for the better and prevent his death. Jenny would be my hologram Al and Ziggy might only give me a 42% chance of success but at least I would get a chance to change the past. But life isn't like TV shows and I'm not Dr. Sam Beckett. We sadly can't change the past. It hurts to dwell on the past too and while I won't forget, I realize that only in works of fiction can you time travel and right the wrongs. But I guess I will just have to make sure nothing like that ever happens again. Jeez, when did this thing get so depressing? I was just trying to post something about Leap Year/Day and show the intro to Quantum Leap. I guess that just means that I can't escape my fears or my feelings and I must face them head on. Or some kind of mumbo jumbo like that. Look I don't understand life more or less than any other person out there. I'm just caught up in the storm like the rest of you. I'm just hoping someday to get some sense of what the hell is going on here even if I have to spend the rest of my life working on it. At least if I try to stay around until I figure that out I'll live to be 80 and be able to see Halley's Comet with my own eyes. And what a sight that will be.

 - pookon -

www.pookon.com
email: pookondotcom@gmail.com
http://www.facebook.com/MilwaukeeIceman

No comments: