Saturday, January 19, 2013

The Drive to Stay Alive - Ep 11 - Drunk Driving in Vice City

I usually record the Drive to Stay Alive on my way to work on a Monday morning. I was off of work from December 24 - January 2nd (with the exception of December 27th) because our office was shut down. We did have a skeleton crew (not a bunch of skeletons like the Pirates of the Caribbean in the moonlight but a small amount of people) working that week hence the working on December 27th work day. This all is one big intro to explain why I was able to record an episode on Monday December 31st while drunk driving, albeit in a video game. I woke up and didn't have shit to do so I stayed in my pajamas, poured myself a stiff drink and played some Grand Theft Auto: Vice City for old time's sake. I used to play a lot of video games but quit a couple of years ago to focus on writing and playing music. I know I made the right decision. But every now and then it's nice to waste an hour or two in some form of escape from real life. That's why I retreated to Vice City. In this fictional place you can do and get away with so many heinous crimes such as stealing cars, picking up, having sex with and then killing hookers, running over innocent pedestrians and killing cops and then evading the full out manhunt. There are people who do this in real life and it's sick. Those people should be locked up and left to rot. But you should be allowed to live out this fantasy in a make believe setting where no one gets hurt. This is why video games exist.

By taking control of a fictional character and making them do things that are immoral or impossible in the real world allows you to satisfy those urges. I can't speak for everybody but I've dreamed out firing guns and evading the police in a high speed chase. Or bursting into a bank with a ski mask demanding all of the money in the vault. Or having sex with a couple of streetwalkers (the women of the night) and beating them to a bloody pulp with a baseball bat and taking back your money because she refused to do that thing you whispered in her ear. Who hasn't had thoughts like that? But the difference between me and some asshole that is spending life behind bars is that there's something in my head that tells me not to do it in real life. Still both of us are sick bastards. To hear how far Mommy's little Angel has fallen listen below as I do a bit of drunk driving in Vice City.



Right click and Save As to download a copy of The Drive to Stay Alive - Ep 11 - Drunk Driving in Vice City so that you can listen to it whenever you feel like it: http://pookonco.ipower.com/music/dtsa-ep11.mp3

This was a departure from the norm in some sense and it was really difficult to record while driving drunk on the video game. I guess that's why I don't do that in real life. There's a lot of things that I did during this episode that I'm glad that I didn't do in real life.Things we probably should never mention again. Although I hate going to work 5 days a week at least it gives me a reason to leave the house and not sit around wasting my life being wasted. I still haven't found my drive to stay alive but today I took another big step - I realized what I don't want to do with my life. And that's to sit around and waste it away by being a detriment to myself and to society. As for my purpose? Well I suppose we'll continue that search next week.

 - pookon -

http://www.pookon.com/
email: pookondotcom@gmail.com
http://www.facebook.com/MilwaukeeIceman
https://twitter.com/pookondotcom

No comments: