Monday, January 28, 2013

The Drive to Stay Alive - Ep 12 - The World Series of Beer Pong... Wait

Beer pong was a pretty big part of my life but I've moved on. My priorities changed when my life changed and I know I made the right decision. But still it feels weird to be home during the first week of January and not out in Nevada for the World Series of Beer Pong. I've been to seven of them beginning in 2006 and ending in 2012. This one (Year VIII) was the 8th incarnation of this International Beer Pong Tournament with a Grand Prize of $50,000. While the money sounds nice there is no way in hell I'd even come close to winning that cash seeing as I haven't made the Day 3 Playoffs since Year II. When I first started this blog in 2005 it was pretty random with content before I decided to start focusing on certain subjects and beer pong was one of them because it was a big part of my life. Those were the glory years of the CHBPL (Cramer House Beer Pong League) where we would play official games once a week and shoot around on the others. All of my friends from the UWM Union were also in league so we hung out every day. This was also the era of June's Blanket and The Godsplash so I was living pretty high and mighty for a few years. And then something happened - I got old.

I graduated from college in 2006 and pretty much stopped playing beer pong outside of some random nights or BBFE. Since all of my friends are right around my age they all graduated too and the league disbanded. But even though we didn't play as much as we used to, we kept on going out to Las Vegas for this event. When the Last Cup movie (which was shot during Year II) came out I became a well known character in the beer pong community and I kept going out there because they treated me like a rockstar. I met a lot of great people out there and it became more about hanging out with friends than playing beer pong. Joey Kanz and Hummel joined me out there for several years but when I realized it was more about having fun than anything else. I was having such a good time blogging and tweeting about what I was doing and then I realized that I didn't need to spend $1,000 to do that. The World Series of Beer Pong is quite expensive and just wasn't worth it if I wasn't getting anything out of it. But still it was weird to not be out there and I took the time on my commute to address it. You can listen by clicking below.



Right click and Save As to download a copy of The Drive to Stay Alive - Ep 12 - The World Series of Beer Pong... Wait: http://pookonco.ipower.com/music/dtsa-ep12.mp3

All things have an expiration date and the beer pong part of my life probably sat on the shelf for a little bit too long. I should have retired years ago but kept on going out there for some odd reason. I guess I just wasn't ready to grow up and move on with my life. But one thing that I realized by not going to the WSoBP is that I wasn't missed. I didn't hear from any of my so called "friends" that they were upset that I wasn't there. That really validated my decision to do more important things with my life then to play beer pong in the dirtiest fucking city in the world. There's more to life than that shit and I'll damn sure keep on trying to figure out what that is. But I do know that life has nothing to do with beer pong. I'm sure about that one. But life still has a lot of mysteries to discover and until I figure them out I'm going to keep driving. And as long as I'm still driving I'm still living.

 - pookon -

www.pookon.com
email: pookondotcom@gmail.com
http://www.facebook.com/MilwaukeeIceman
https://twitter.com/pookondotcom

No comments: