Monday, March 31, 2014

25 Brewers in 25 Days - 2014 - Leftfield

Khris Davis will take over Sombrero Territory in 2014 as the leftfielder and we couldn't be happier. We loved heckling Ryan Braun but it's time to channel that energy into something positive, like cheering for Khris. It's pretty easy to root for a guy that has my Mom's name. Well, at least because I like my Mother. Things might be different if I didn't. Call me a Momma's boy all you want, but my Mom kicks all kinds of ass and gives me free stuff all the time, let's me do wash at her house and allows me to have fires in her backyard. Call me names all you want, but I get some pretty sweet perks for doing whatever she wants and spending time with her. My mom's name is also Kris with a K. So aside from being a woman, a mother, a school teacher, older and not black, her and Khris Davis are pretty much the same. I love both of them. But it wasn't always that way. When I was in High School (as an angry teenager who didn't really have any friends) I took out my frustration on the one person who was trying to raise me into a responsible young adult. It wasn't until I went away to college that I truly appreciated everything she did for me and how much I missed her. And Davis? Well prior to to last summer I didn't even know who he was. Kind of hard to love someone that you don't know. 


Well I take that back because I'm madly in love with Sage from the Fox Sports Wisconsin Girls. I've been watching her for years and I get the shivers every time I see her. I follow her on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, on TV and home from the laundromat. I'm just kidding about following her on the Instagram. I don't get the purpose of that one. I was first turned on by her smile, then her eyes and then her hot totties. Oh man what I wouldn't do with her Fox Sports Wisconsin Girls. Jesus Christ Scotty! Keep it in your pants. You need a woman and bad. But you won't because you're still pining over some drink girl (Karma) you met at La Bayou like 4 years ago and now you've got a schoolboy crush on some pretty brunette who flashes a smile at you from the television. You sad pathetic man. Oh but what a beautiful smile it is. It warms my heart and makes me forget about all my troubles. It's like she's doing it only for me. Wait, did I just kind of quote a Semisonic song? My life is even more pathetic than I realized. But I'm going to go to bed tonight and dream that one day she will be mine and I will do everything within my power to meet her in person. Once she takes a look at my body she will want to make babies with me immediately, even if there are people around. I'm hoping that the kids get her genes. And in order to make that happen I will need to get in her jeans, if you know what I mean. Yes, everyone knows what you mean. You're laying it on pretty thick, syrup style. All over her naked body. OK, I'm done.

Wait... wasn't this supposed to be about Khris Davis? Yeah I think so, but do people really come here for the Brewers coverage? Nope. They come here for the random and the ridiculous. But I might as well give them some Brewers while they are here. I must have stopped paying attention at some point because I don't ever remember hearing about him coming up through the minor leagues. To be quite honest with you though, I don't remember hearing about Wily Peralta, Caleb Gindl or Sean Halton too much in the past either, and they all played roles in 2013. But none of them broke on to the scene quite like Khris Davis. How big did he bust out? Big enough for the Front Office to open up leftfield for him by moving a MVP who is not only your franchise player, but also the guy who has played out there for the last 5 years. This sort of thing isn't unprecedented but does show you the amount of faith that the organization has in Davis.

And why not? All he did was kick ass in Braun's absence by hitting .279 with 11 Hrs and 27 RBIs over 56 games. He has some solid Minor League numbers but nothing that really jumps off the page. So that means the Brewers brass knows something that I don't know. They are so confident in Davis' potential that they got the balling rolling by trading Norichika Aoki to open an Outfield spot. So there's a lot riding on him to live up to those expectations. I'm not really sure how I feel about him yet. I'm worried that there is too small of a sample size to make any long term predictions but you had to do something to open up a spot in the Outfield. Ryan Braun will be a Brewer for the rest of his career and if I had it my way, so would Carlos Gomez. Outfielders is one of the only strengths in the Minor League system so if you don't play these kids, you have to trade them. I'm all for a good trade if it strengthens another weakness on this team, but I don't want to see one of these young Outfielders get dealt only to become the next Michael Brantley (Cleveland), Nelson Cruz (Baltimore) or Lorenzo Cain (Kansas City). So you might as well play them. 

Check out my 7th video, which covers Leftfield for the 2014 Milwaukee Brewers, recorded at the Mike O'Callaghan–Pat Tillman Memorial Bridge overlooking The Hoover Dam in Arizona/Nevada:



My original plan was to drive from Phoenix, AZ to Las Vegas, NV on Sunday March 16 and get there by 1pm to see the Chicago Cubs take on the New York Mets at Cashman Field (home of the AAA Las Vegas 51s). But I had already been to 4 Spring Training games and spent more money that I had planned. It was a 5 hour drive and I would have had to leave real early that morning. When I woke up I decided to take my time and go for a nice leisurely drive through the desert. This turned out to be one of the best ideas I've ever had. Driving down this two land road, passing by cacti, mountains and the desert with my windows down and the music cranked. It centered me and made me remember that there are so many beautiful things in this World. Plus it allowed me to stop by the Hoover Dam to record this video. How's that for location? It doesn't get any better than this.

Khris Davis #18 - .265 batting AVG, 22 HRs, 65 RBIs, an above average defender in spite of the critics and the coolest guy in the World with my Mom's name.

Logan Schafer #1 - .245 batting AVG, 6 HRs, 41 RBIs, 10 stolen bases and the best defender on the team not names Carlos Gomez. But he might change his name to Carlos Gomez so that people recognize him and give credit where it is due. This kid can play the shit out of the outfield.

I gave too much love to Sage (although I'm not ashamed of that. I'd do so many things to her that I would be proud of and so many things that I'd be afraid to tell Dan Savage about) and not enough love to Logan Schafer. He does deserve it too. But he's mostly going to fly under the radar because he's the 4th Outfielder. He might get a few starts in leftfield against a tough righty (Khris Davis is right handed while Schafer is a lefty) but he can also play center and rightfield. On top of that he's got great speed and is a defensive whiz. He did hit for a pretty good average in the Minors (career .294) but he's not a homerun hitter (24 over 5 Minor League seasons and 4 in 2013) but he hits from the left side and uses his speed to his advantage. His glove and versatility will keep him on the Major League roster so anything he gives you with the bat will be a bonus. If you sober and pay attention for a bit you might just find that you're pleasantly surprised with this kid (he's only 27 years old so I can still call him a kid and tell him and his buddy Scooter to get off my lawn). Damn kids. 

How do I close this out? I can talk about Sage some more. I know the real reason why she hasn't responded to my Tweets. She's afraid of falling in love at first site. She doesn't want to admit that I'm the man of her dreams. She's worried about having to fight her way through the throngs of ladies that throw themselves at me on a daily basis. She's jealous I might run off with one of them. Listen my darling Sage - I know that there is enough of me to go around (that's why I'm so big, because there is so much of me to love) but I'm a one-woman man. But what about Karma you ask? Look, Karma is the past. I had my chance with her and it wasn't meant to be. Because if I was I wouldn't be available to make all of your dreams come true. I know I'm no Prince, but in my arms you'll feel like a Princess. I will love you more than I love snacks. And baby, I really love snacks. You're the only snack I need. I'll eat your... woah Scotty! Pump the brakes! Settle down there pal! Take a cold shower. A long walk.  A chill pill. Something. You're creeping everyone out. So what else is new? Khris Davis in leftfield. That's new. That's something I can get behind. And speaking of something I can get behind... OK, now I'm really done.

 - pookon -

www.pookon.com
https://twitter.com/pookondotcom
https://www.facebook.com/MilwaukeeIceman

No comments: