Sunday, March 30, 2014

25 Brewers in 25 Days - 2014 - Shortstop

From 2005 - 2009 we were set at the Shortstop position with James Jerry (J.J.) Hardy, a man that had a canon for an arm and the ability to make the ladies swoon. In 2010 we flipped him for Carlos Gomez (in a trade that pissed everyone off at the time but now looks to be a brilliant move even though Hardy has made the All-Star team, won a Silver Slugger and two Gold Gloves with Baltimore) and the age of Alcides Escobar came to life. That only lasted 1 year, but you have to admit that Zack Greinke was amazing both as a player and as a person. I sure do miss him (especially his comments. That guy is one of the most fascinating athletes ever.) but things worked out in our favor when they traded him for Jean Segura. It sure is nice to have a good young Shortstop again, right? I've seen enough of Veteran guys like Caesar Izturis, Yuni B, Cody Ransom, Alex Gonzalez and Craig Counsell starting the majority of the games. I sure love watching Jean Segura play and 2013 was an indication that the future is set at that position.

Segura did better than anyone could have predicted, and everyone (including myself) didn't see that coming. I had Segura at a .281 Batting AVG, .327 OBP, 3 HRs, 41 RBIs and 22 stolen bases. He finished the season with a .294 Batting AVG, .315 OBP, 12 HRs, 49 RBIs, 44 stolen bases although he was hitting much better than that before falling off in September. But how is he going to do in 2014? Can he avoid the sophomore slump? I think so. One of the reasons why is that technically it's not his sophomore season this year. When the Brewers brought him up in August of 2012 he got enough plate appearances/at bats that he didn't qualify for Rookie status in 2013 and wasn't eligible for Rookie of the Year (which eventually went to Miami Marlins' starting pitcher Jose Fernandez who had a 12-6 record, 2.19 ERA, 28 starts, 172 innings and 187 strikeouts. 2nd place was Yasiel Puig, who finished with a .319 AVG, 19 HR and 42 RBIs). Even if he did qualify for Rookie of the Year, I'm not sure that he would have won it (probably would have finished 3rd) but he sure wins plenty of awards in my book.

The book on Segura is that he didn't have the range or the arm to be a big league Shortstop and that his body type profiles him as more of a second baseman. That may be the case in the future, but for now he's one hell of a shortstop. I don't need to look at defensive statistics such as UZR, Range Factor or Fielding Percentage to know how good he is. All I need is the tried and true "eye test" method. That tells me everything that I need to know. He's just fun to watch. In an otherwise forgettable 2013, Jean Segura gave the casual fans a reason to turn on the TV or come to the ballpark every day. You want your team to win because that's the bottom line, but isn't sports just another form of entertainment? You watch Jean Segura play my friends - are you not entertained? Of course you are. And if you aren't then you need to get your head examined. Or go back to watching the Real Housewives of Southern California or some shit and stay the fuck away from my team.

But please continue to give the team your money, because in this size market we are wholly dependent on ticket sales and merchandise to keep the payroll in the $90-$100 million range. Especially because the Brewers have been talking to Segura's agent about a contract extension that would buy out his arbitration years and maybe a couple years of free agency, which seems to be the norm with good young players recently. But words is that talks have been tabled because he doesn't want to talk about while the season is going on. So expect for this topic to be revisited in the offseason. If he has another breakout season (which I think he will do), then expect the contract talks to intensify to lock him up now before he eventually prices himself out of Milwaukee. But that time isn't now. Let's worry about that later. For now just enjoy the entertainment that Jean Segura brings.

Check out my 6th video, which covers Shortstop for the 2014 Milwaukee Brewers, recorded at Maryvale Ballpark in Phoenix, AZ at the Spring Training Game between the Arizona Diamondbacks and the Milwaukee Brewers:


I was pretty drunk when I recorded this video at Maryvale Ballpark and I'm surprised that I was able to make some kind of sense. I got some stares as I was facing away from the game and talking to my camera, but I get stares when I wear "Hombre de Heilo" on my back and a giant sombrero on my head, so I'm used to it. I had a few beers in the parking lot plus a Sailor Jerry drink in a 320z Powerade bottle that was easily half booze. I also brought some booze in with me (classic Iceman move) and mixed it with some Robinade. What does that mean? Sadly it means I have a high tolerance and I'm able to handle myself accordingly when filled with Alcohol. Why is that sad you ask? Because you have to drink a lot (and every day) to get to that point. That's the sad part. But here it allowed me to stay on point and accomplish a task. So there are 2 sides to the coin. I had a fantastic time at Maryvale Ballpark (although I didn't get on TV. I'm upset about that. Way to ruin a shared moment FSWisconsin) and I can't wait to go back. Spring Training is one of the best things to attend if you love baseball as much as I do.

Jean Segura #9 - .286 batting AVG, 10 HRs, 38 RBIs, 40 stolen bases and part of a solid "up the middle" combo along with Lucroy/Maldonado and Carlos Gomez. Just like he used to be a part of the "Jean Jean made a machine, Yo Yo made it go, Hart Hart blew a fart and blew the whole damn thing apart" combo.

Jeff Bianchi #14 - .236 AVG, 3 HRs, 26 RBIs and still a valuable member of the team because he's the backup at all 4 Infield positions and emergency 5th Outfielder. A good Utility Infielder is a huge asset in the National League.

Sorry I barely mentioned Jeff Bianchi in this entry because he is very important to a National League team. Flexibility is key because you are often one position player short on the bench as a result of carrying 13 pitchers. The Brewers will open the season with 12 pitchers and 13 position players but Jeff Bianchi is the only infielder that can play multiple positions. He may get a handful of starts per month but he will see plenty of playing time as a pinch hitter and late-game substitution. Aramis Ramirez and Jean Segura can't play every single day of the season. Mark Reynolds will be the primary backup at 3rd (when he isn't playing 1st) but who will backup Segura? Scooter? Overbay? Maldonado? Schafer? Nope. Those are your bench players, and none of them can play Shortstop. But Bianchi can. That makes him very valuable. But what makes him priceless is that he can also play 1st, 2nd, 3rd and even leftfield in a pinch. 

In the National League you often pinch hit for a pitcher in a clutch situation late in the game and sometimes you might even do a double switch (defined by Baseball-Reference.com as "A substitution during which two or more players are substituted simultaneously and take places in the batting order different from those of the player they replaced. A double switch is typically used in situations where the designated hitter is not used and the pitcher is one of the players being substituted. The purpose of the move is to change the pitcher's slot in the batting order, so that the new pitcher does not immediately come up to bat in the next half inning."). If you have to do a double switch with an infielder, who offers you the most flexibility so you don't have to burn a big bat off the bench? That's Jeff Bianchi. Every player on the team has a role. Some of them are the MVP types that will carry the team, some are the defensive wizards, some are the underrated ones who go out there and do their job without being flashy, some are the ones trying to live up to their performance last year, some of them are rookies trying to fill big shoes and some of them are the ones who will do whatever it takes to help the team win. Which one is Jeff Bianchi? Which one is Jean Segura? I'll let you be the judge of that.

 - pookon -

www.pookon.com
https://twitter.com/pookondotcom
https://www.facebook.com/MilwaukeeIceman

No comments: