Monday, June 16, 2008

Brewers @ Rockies 6/6 - 6/8 : Series Wrap-Up

Series 21 - Milwaukee Brewers @ Colorado Rockies at Coors Field in Denver, CO

Coors Field hasn't been very kind to the Brewers since they joined the National League (which if my memory serves correct, would be the 1997 season). I would hope that the current merger between Miller and Coors beers that this place would be a little friendlier and that the Brewers could tap the Rockies, but once again we walked away from this joint with a losing record. Coors Field looks like a sweet stadium to visit, and someday I hope to do that for the sole reason of visiting the Coors Brewery in Golden, Colorado. I figure since I have (obviously) been to the Miller Headquarters in Milwaukee and the Anheuser-Busch Brewery in St. Louis, it would only be fitting if I visited the Coors in Colorado. Sadly, this would be another missed opportunity to head out there and catch the Silver Bullet. And from what transpired during this 3 game series, I picked a pretty good time to once again not follow the Brewers on the road.

Game 1 (Friday) - Ben Sheets (6-1, 2.62 ERA) vs Ubaldo Jimenez (1-6, 5.43 ERA)

Do you know why they tell you to never put all of your eggs in one basket? It's because you want to save some eggs for breakfast for dinner, or for middle of the night stumble home drunk and make bagel sandwiches with bacon and cheese dinner. Or you may just want to save some of those eggs for Easter so you can hardboil them and hide them around the house. The point is, I had like $15 left in my Bodog (an internet gambling website) account and I put it all on the Brewers to win, seeing as how Ben Sheets was pitching tonight. You probably can see where this one is going. I know that the Brewers are struggling on the road, and that Sheets hasn't fared well at Coors Field because he can't get his signature break on his curveball, but I had a feeling that the Brewers could pull this one out. After the success that the Rockies had to close out 2007, they have struggled mightily in 2008. We had our ace going up against a 1-6 pitcher with a high ERA after coming off a 8-1 homestand. It seemed like everything was working in our favor, so I bet big. Sheets was not able to locate his curveball, so he ditched it and worked with the fastball, changing speeds and locations. For the most part, he did well, and went 6 innings, giving up 5 hits and 1 run. The Brewers had a 4-1 lead going into the 8th inning, and then the bullpen once again blew a game where Sheets should have gotten the win (he should be like 10-1 right now). Villanueva came in for a 10 pitch 7th inning, striking out 2 of the 3 batters he faced. Since the Brewers were up by 3 runs, Yost brought in Guillermo Mota, his set-up man. Normally this is the move to make, but today it backfired on him as Mota gave up 4 runs on 4 hits without getting an out and just like that I was out $15. What a rip-off. Sheets and I both got cheated today. Final score Rockies 6, Brewers 4.

Brewers record : 32 - 29

Game 2 (Saturday) - Dave Bush (2-6, 5.85 ERA) vs Greg Reynolds (1-3, 5.24 ERA)

It always worries me when Dave Bush starts after a loss, because if he pitches poorly, he has the potential of starting a losing streak. Seeing as how Bush is terrible on the road, I should have put $15 on the Brewers to lose this game so I could make my money back, but since I am a true fan I vowed never to bet against the Brewers. If they keep playing like crap on the road, I might have to start betting against them to ease my sorrows. Money buys the hard stuff (liquor) which helps to dull the pain. I might be on to something here... Anyway, Dave Bush did kind of suck today and you have to start questioning how long he remains a starter. Personally, I'd say for the remainder of the year simply because there are no other viable options. You could move Villanueva back into the rotation, but he has been one of the best relievers, and I don't think you should mess with what's working. I'm lucky that I didn't catch this gem, as Bush gave up 5 runs in the 1st inning and served up 2 home runs, all with 2 outs in the inning. That's rough man. The Brewers scored 2 runs in the 2nd inning, but the rest of the game is a throwaway. Hopefully tomorrow will be a win, because getting swept sucks. Final score Rockies 7, Brewers 2.

Brewers record : 32 - 30

Game 3 (Sunday) - Jeff Suppan (4-4, 3.78 ERA) vs Jeff Francis (2-6, 5.45 ERA)

Suppan was facing the daunting task of pitching well enough to avoid the sweep, and he's just the right kind of pitcher to step up and face the challenge head on. That's why you have a veteran pitcher on your staff - he's been in this situation countless times and he has no fear. The Brewers got all of the scoring done in the first 2 innings (3 runs) and the pitching was stellar, so that is all that they needed to record the victory and avoid the sweep. Suppan only went 5 1/3 innings, but he only gave up 2 runs (only 1 was earned). Villanueva was huge out the bullpen again, pitching for 1 2/3 innings. Torres came on to get the save the old fashioned way - 5 outs in 1 2/3 innings. Torres has been absolutely money since taking over the closers role, and it looks like Gagne ( remember him?) is going to have to find a spot to pitch because there's no way Torres is vacating that role. Way to avoid the sweep boys and win a close one. Final score Brewers 3, Rockies 2.

Brewers record : 33 - 30

It was a pretty bad road trip here and Denver, with disspointments by the bullpen in game 1 and by Dave Bush in game 2. We should be leaving here at 2-1, not 1-2. But it is what it is, and we just have to except it or else. Or else what? I never really got that one, nor do I currently understand the empty threat behind or else. I'll still keep using it though, because it makes me sound dangerous because you never know what's coming next. I do however, know what's coming next for the Brewers, as they revisit Minute Maid Park to play the Houston Astros. Let's just hope that the results are a lot better than last time (when we got swept). If not - it's gonna be a rough road trip. Keep the faith boys - if you book them, they will come. And they'll be bring my Sports Illustrated football phone, my Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue, and the History of the Stanley Cup : 100 Years of Glory. Party on.

Next up - Milwaukee Brewers @ Houston Astros June 10 (Tuesday) - June 12 (Thursday) at Minute Maid Park in Houston, TX

http://www.pookon.com/
email : pookondotcom@gmail.com

No comments: