Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Coach Gordon Bombay

Everyone knows what it is like to lose someone that they love. Death is a part of life. As humans we form connections that help us get through life because it is a series of ups and downs and we need some kind of stability. That's what Coach Gordon was to me. No matter what, through thick and thin, in the good times and the bad, he was always there with me. Until this morning. Coach Bombay died this morning, August 21, with my hand on his chest feeling his heartbeat fade away. He had seemed ok despite his inability to gain weight. He was always a small cat but over the last month he got thinner despite eating nonstop. When I took him to the vet last year they couldn't figure out why he was losing weight despite running $300 worth of tests. He had a heart murmur and possible signs of other diseases such as liver problems or diabetes. He wasn't really that old; I got him in early 2006 and at the time the Humane Society figured he was around 2 years old. That means he was anywhere around 8-11 years old when he died. But in that short time span he meant so much to me.

Coach Gordon Bombay was my first pet. I've had a couple of pets growing up (Lassie, Lassie II, Gizmo, Kiki) and current ones (Gracie and III) but Gordon was the first one that was exclusively mine. Sure he cheated on me by sitting on other people's laps when they came over, but at night he slept with me. I wasn't used to cats that loved people because Gizmo and Kiki were nothing like that. Bombay couldn't wait until I sat down on the couch so he could sit on my lap and often grew jealous of my laptop computer for taking up his space. I remember when I first got him. Jenny came with me to the Wisconsin Humane Society and I certainly had the "pick of the litter" to through a little bit of corny humor here. Of all the cats that were available for adoption that day he was the only one who wouldn't show me any signs of affection. His name was Greg and he was a grey and black stripped cat who wouldn't come out of the hole in the cat cube. I coerced him and petted him for what seemed like 10 minutes before he warmed up to me. When he finally started purring he did this thing with his paws that the worker described as a sign of affection. When she also said that he didn't warm up to anyone else yet (he was rescued from the streets and hadn't been there long) I knew that he was the one. I took him home that day and named him Coach Gordon Bombay after my favorite hockey coach, famously played by Emilio Estevez in the Mighty Ducks Trilogy. I don't know know why I named him that seeing as how I don't overly love those movies, but it just seemed to fit. Little did I know that the Coach would teach me so many lessons in life and be just like that mentor who watched over me.

Everybody loved Gordon Bombay and he loved everyone. I don't remember him ever biting anyone and he never acted out of line by scratching anything other than my sofa. Sure he got into his share of shenanigans by knocking things off of the table and dumping cups of water, but he was just being curious. But one thing that he always did was be by my side. It's no secret that I spend a lot of time alone. I do a ton of work on this blog, the website, the Reck Room Studios, the Daily Burner and other labors of love in the Pookon Empire. I also work 2 jobs so that doesn't give me a whole lot of time to have a social life. Thankfully girls don't find me attractive so I haven't had to worry about a girlfriend, fiancee or kids. I maintain a few friends but mostly just hang out with my family. That means I spend a lot of time at home working on stuff. And you know who was right next to me the whole time? Coach Bombay. He always needed to be in the same room with me and in the past year when I worked on my laptop he would lay right next to me on the table. As long as I had Bombay I was never alone. He was my best friend even though he never said anything outside of a meow or two. I talked to him like I would a normal person and I'd like to think that he listened to me even though he probably didn't give a shit what I was saying because I was interrupting his nap. But I know he liked it. He couldn't stand to be away from me. He even slept on me at night. Sometimes when I stirred at night I would hear him jump off of me because he was startled by the sudden movement. But once I settled in again he would climb back on board. Before I would go to bed every night I would call for him and he would come from wherever he was in the house. He'd jump on me and I would pet him. I called it Tummy Time. It was one of my favorite moments of every day.

I moved every year to a new apartment and like a good trooper he followed along. It wasn't like he really had a choice. Even though he was from the streets he wasn't exactly eager to get back to them. He had it pretty sweet. Free rent, free eats, toys and nonstop entertainment. And then there were the endless parade of guests that came by to hang out with him. I felt bad every time I left him alone and especially when it would be for an extended period of time. Before I left I always took a picture of and with him so that I could carry one with me when I was on my trip. It's not that I thought he wouldn't be there when I got back or anything, it's just that I felt bad that he couldn't come along with me on my adventures. He was my good luck charm and I knew that even if I didn't end up having a good time on my trip he would welcome me back home and overjoyed to see me. He was so much different than any cat I've ever known. He certainly had a personality that was on display whenever I was around. Sorry if you never saw it. But believe me when I say that he was an amazing cat and my best friend in the world. Although life goes on I know I'll miss the little guy so much. There are so many firsts that you have in life and they often become the most memorable. Coach Bombay was my first pet and all others will probably pale in comparison. He was that special to me.

I've really run out of things to say right now. That always surprises me because I'm a man of many words. But if any of you have ever lost a pet (and I'm guessing that includes just about everyone reading this) then you know exactly what I'm going through and what I want to say. Words can't express what the last 6 or so years of my life have been like thanks to Gordon and his ability to always make me feel like I mattered. There were so many times when I felt like I was an insignificant piece of shit and that I had no purpose in this world. But then I would look down at his face and realize that he depended on me every day for his survival in this world and feel better about myself. Yeah I know it sounds pretty god damn stupid but I've been in a lot of dark places in my life and when I didn't have a friend in the world I always had Gordon. Adopting him is the best decision I ever made and now I feel like a failure because I couldn't keep him along long enough to enjoy life. But then I thought of how much he impacted my life and how I probably gave him another handful of years on this earth. He went to a good home although it was really like 7 different homes.

I don't expect anyone to fully understand how I feel and don't even expect anyone to read this story about a boy and his cat. I just know that I wish I had more time to hang out with the little beast. But so it goes I guess. I'm gonna finish up writing or else I'll just keep on rambling forever. Coach Bombay isn't here to interrupt me to feed him or pay him some attention like he usually does so I don't know when to stop. But before I do go I just want to say this. If you have found someone (pets included) that you love hold them close every day and tell them how much you love them. The clock is ticking for every one of us and no one knows when theirs is going to run out. It was Coach Gordon Bombay's time to go this morning but that doesn't mean he won't stay with me forever. Much like I Rage for Timmy I now Rage for CGB as well. And I also rage for everyone who has made an impact on my life that is now gone. I learned a lot from having to be a responsible owner and I know I can be trusted with taking care of a life, even if sometimes I feel like I can't even take care of my own. To you he was just a cat but to me he was a best friend. We were supposed to be best friends forever and we still can be as long as I keep him in my heart. I'll never forget you pal. Say hi to Timmy and Lassie for me.

 - pookon -

2 comments:

Cousin Kevin said...

Beautifully said bud! Cheers and I love you. Take care and know we all love you and hold you close just as you do to us. Family, friends, band members, employees, road trip partners, drinking buddies, etc.

Anonymous said...

Gordon was my "kitty boy" and I love him dearly. I am proud that you gave Gordon a great home. His life on earth was the best because of you. Love forever, Your mom & Gordon's grandma