Wednesday, August 15, 2012

What's Brewing in the Crewbicle? - Week 17 - Washington Nationals / Houston Astros

I was up at Afterglow until Saturday July 28 and was really negative when I came home. We call it the "Afterglow Blues" because coming back to the real world after a week in paradise is enough to depress even the most positive of people. So the Nationals series really pissed me off, so much to the point that I wanted to punch someone in the mouth if they said that the Brewers were still in the playoff run. But let me amend that. I will only punch dudes in the mouth. You can't hit women. That's wrong. But if some chick says that the Brewers still I have a chance I will grab hold of her and shake the shit out of her. I don't know why I'm so angry. I've been down on the Brewers all year and I've constantly been trying to remind myself to stay positive because negativity doesn't help anyone. But I can't. These guys suck. At Afterglow I try to stay as far away from my phone and the internet so I can block out distractions while I'm trying to reset myself for another year. But on Friday after 7 consecutive losses I came back to the cabin to grab a late lunch and my phone was full of text messages about the Greinke trade. I get text updates from  Twitter from Tom Haudricourt and Todd Rosiak of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel and Adam McCalvy of Brewers.com, so you can imagine how many messages I had waiting for me. While I was a little sad our best pitcher was gone, I understand the business of the game and how it was necessary to rebuild. I just hope that this Jean Seguara kid turns out to be our shortstop of the future. That and a bullpen is all we really need right now to be a good team. Like the Washington Nationals. Now that's a good team. If you asked me 5 years ago whether the Nationals would be a good team in 2012 I'd say no. That's because apparently I don't know shit about other teams. They've been building for this run like we did for 2007-2011. This is their run starting now. Must be nice. We're rebuilding. I'm mad.

You want to know what the cure for losing is? Play against the Houston Astros. Wins against them shouldn't even count but at this point I'll take them because we are also a bad baseball team. Shit I'll take anything right now. Even the girl with a limp and the unibrow. I have incredibly low standards now because let's face it, I'm not a very good looking man. I'm the Houston Astros of guys. I rarely achieve victory and if I do it's a fluke. You're supposed to triumph over me. And if you don't then you failed. How would you feel if I went home with the girl and you didn't? I bet you would lose your fucking mind. You'd be like how did that girl go home with that guy? That's what it's like when the Houston Astros win a game. You stop dead in your tracks and you're like how the hell did that happen? Well the loser didn't get the girl this time as they were swept by the Brewers. Hell of a good time that was. I should be excited about the Brewers winning but it's just Houston. It's just Houston.

Thursday July 26 - Sunday July 29. Milwaukee Brewers vs Washington Nationals at Miller Park. Games 98 - 101 of 162. This series was the one that did it. If I hear one Brewers fan say some stupid shit like we still have a chance to make the playoffs, I'm punching them square in the mouth. You don't deserve the right to be able to talk. Until the 6-0 win they were on a 7 game losing streak and they traded away their best player Zack Greinke. It's about fricken time. Hopefully 1 of those prospects works out but I doubt it. That's our luck as a losing franchise. So after losing 3 of 4 to the Nationals (who are a really good team now so it's warranted) the Brewers find themselves 11 games under .500 and something like 15 games out of 1st place. Yikes. Look I've been saying we're bad bad but I never though we'd be this bad. Hell, we're battling with the Cubs for 2nd last in the division. Thank God for Houston or else we'd be battling for the basement. They've got that locked up. Ain't no one getting in there. Not even Harry + Marv aka "The Wet Bandits". Come to think of it, how did those fools manage to get away with so much before Kevin caught them with his cornucopia of tricks and traps? What a bunch of dimwitted morons. Can you tell I have nothing left to say about the Brewers? I'm talking about Home Alone for Christ's sake. Nationals 8, Brewers 2. Brewers 6, Nationals 2. Nationals 4, Brewers 1. Nationals 11, Brewers 10.

Monday July 30 - Wednesday August 1. Milwaukee Brewers vs Houston Astros at Miller Park. Games 102 - 104 of 162. The Houston Astros may be one of the worst baseball teams of all time. So we were supposed to sweep them. And to think our bullpen even tried to give Game 1 away. The offense busted out in a big way and guys like Ramirez, Gomez and Weeks are going nuts right now. And not just this series, it's been over the last few weeks. Now the Brewers pretty much have no shot to make the playoffs this year (14.5 games behind 1st place Cincinnati and 11.5 games out of the Wildcard) but they still can finish with a respectable record if the bullpen stabilizes itself. For now I'm just looking at guys to pad their stats to finish on a high note. And also for guys like Maldonado, Fiers and Aoki to keep up the good but unexpected performances so they can hopefully carry them into next year. I'm also hoping Mark Rogers takes hold of a starting spot for the rest of the year so there's less questions as we lose Marcum and Wolf next year and technically only have Gallardo back seeing as Narveson missed the entire year. There's still a lot of questions to be answered this year so all is not lost. There is still a reason to give a shit about the 2012 Milwaukee Brewers. That's all you can ask for. Brewers 8, Astros 7. Brewers 10, Astros 1. Brewers 13, Astros 4.

Well another week in the books and another week where the Brewers could have picked up a few games towards the climb back to .500. I don't know why I keep on reaching for that goal because what difference does it make if we avoid a losing record? It's still going to be a lost season. I don't even know why I complain as much as I do or even why I do it. What is the point of all of this? This started out as a way to waste a couple of minutes at work and now it is consuming some of my free time outside of work. That's not cool. I'm pretty limited in that department. But somewhere deep down in my heart I still love the Brewers even though I claim to have given up on them and shit. But I will never give up on them. I just hope they never give up on me. What the hell is going on here? I've lost all track of my life and we have derailed. And so have the Brewers. At least we have that it common.

 - pookon - 

No comments: