Monday, August 13, 2012

What's Brewing in the Crewbicle? - Week 16 - Cincinnati Reds / Philadelphia Phillies

I don't have to tell you that I've been a little bit behind in my Brewers coverage here on the blog. By the time that I am writing this I'm already like 3 weeks behind so there is no point in speculating on the future because I am already there. Does that make me a time traveler? If so I'd like to try and prove the theory that if you want to know how a woman is going to look when they are older, you need just to look at her Mother. So if you need me I'm going to be checking out hot chicks and then traveling 30 years into the future and see if they still look hot or if they have turned into their mothers. Now I'm not knocking Moms here. I know a whole lot of hot moms and they invented the term MILF for a reason. But any "normal" person is usually attracted to someone of their own age and therefor would not be attracted to an older person. I may just be stating personal preferences here because I tend to skew younger on what I find attractive (which may be one of many reasons why I'm still single) but if given the chance I will traverse the annals of time looking for the truth. Wait... why I am talking about females again? I'm so repressed man. I gotta get out more. So on with the Brewers talk so I can do something else with my life. If only that was the case...

The Brewers went down to Ohio to play the Reds (who were in first place at the time) with a chance to get back at the team that had for the most part owned them this year. It was a rough couple of days but it could have been worse than the final score indicated. How much worse? I haven't the slightest idea if that is the case. That's because I didn't watch these games. On Friday I was packing for Afterglow. On Saturday I was at Afterglow. And on Sunday I was in full-blown rage mode on my 2nd day in paradise. Nothing else mattered. I saw some updates on Twitter here and there and I caught the final scores, but outside of that my mind was elsewhere. After thinking it over for a few days I came up with the following passages that capture my immediate thoughts on the state of the Milwaukee Brewers.

You could skip this paragraph and read about the Reds series. I beg you to do it. Because I'm sure that there is a lot of nonsense that will inevitably follow in the wake of my mass exodus from the realm of sanity. The Brewers set out to the land of brotherly love, which has been anything but kind to the Brewers in recent years. If I'm not mistaken it was a few losses in Philadelphia in 2008 that got Ned Yost fired in 2008. And then of course in the postseason that year the Brewers would lose Games 1 + 2 at Citizen's Bank Park in the NLDS and eventually get knocked out of the playoffs in Game 4 at Miller Park (thanks Jeff Suppan). I feel real bad for anyone who had to watch this series. From what I understand each game was like a monumental collapse for the Brewers bullpen and the final result was literally the same each day with the Brewers losing to the Phillies by a score of 7-6. I'm glad that I had a lot better things to do up at Afterglow than sit through this dreck because from the box score it looked really ugly. The bullpen was giving up 4-6 runs late in the games which erased any doubt in the mind of Doug Melvin that he should start trading anyone who isn't nailed down for next year. But who would want these bums? Greinke would obviously go but who would want KRod now? I don't think a Bar League softball team would trade for him at this point. I'm sure a T-Ball League could use him to set the ball back on top of the tee after the kids hit it. I can't imagine any other team (maybe the Special Olympics) that would want him at this point. And that's sad considering what he used to be. So the Brewers got swept on this roadtrip, coming home 0-6. Who's ready to go down to Miller Park to watch this team?

Friday July 20 - Sunday July 22. Milwaukee Brewers vs Cincinnati Reds at Great American BallPark. Games 92 - 94 of 162. I wish I could say that I still cared. I don't. The truth is that I don't care about anything in the real world anymore. That's because since Saturday I've been up at Afterglow and nothing else matters while I'm here. As you've seen all season, I've been down on this team. I've asked for them to trade everyone for weeks now. But after losing all 3 games against the Reds (who were in 1st place) and falling 10 1/2 games back in the division, this season is over pal. Anyone who thinks otherwise is either as drunk as I am or a complete idiot. I can't waste anymore of my time complaining about this team. I'm too busy swimming, raging it on KK and tons of other Afterglow stuff I can't tell you about. Best to keep that S a secret because I don't need you finding out about it. The less you all know, the better you will be. Reds 3, Brewers 1. Reds 6, Brewers 2. Reds 2, Brewers 1.


Monday July 23 - Wednesday July 25 22. Milwaukee Brewers vs Philadelphia Phillies at Citizen's Bank Park. Games 95 - 97 of 162. Sometimes you need to take a step away from something and go without it for a few days to realize how much it consumes your life. That's me with the Brewers. Even though I've scaled back my total immersion I still spend way too much of my life on this team who to this point in 2012 have done nothing for me. Sure it's entertaining at times but this series at Philadelphia was anything but. I pity the folks who had to sit and watch the bullpen blow all 3 of these games. What a disgrace. And to think that's been the only problem. Sure the offense and defense have struggled at times and the starters don't go deep into games, but they at least have rebounded. The bullpen has been horrible all year long. And to have them cough up 3 consecutive games is the nightmare that put the nail in the coffin. If getting swept by Cincinnati didn't change Doug Melvin's mind about selling than this sure will. Of course had he listened to me he would have sold weeks ago because I've been saying all year that this team isn't any good. Sure, individual players are good but the collective whole isn't capable of finishing without a losing record. Phillies 7, Brewers 6. Phillies 7, Brewers 6. Phillies 7, Brewers 6.

What a weird turn of events in Major League Baseball. The Washington Nationals (who roll into Milwaukee next) are in 1st place and the Philadelphia Phillies are in last. Some things you just didn't see coming but there is no reason to go and out play like a bunch of losers even though they are. Hopefully there is a little fight left in them to at least give the home crowd their money's worth. That's about all I have to look forward to. And to see who they get back in the Greinke trade which could go down at any time and certainly will before the July 31st trading deadline. We'll see what happens but of course we already know. Just like I know what that hot bartender the other night will look like when she is 50. And I'm liking what I see. Just saying.

 - pookon - 

No comments: