Wednesday, October 15, 2014

It's in My Head - #15: Aunt Maria's Elephants are Playing in the Sand


I'm sure that you listen to music. I think everybody does. It's a very common thing. I know that you probably sing along with the songs too. Even if you're not that good of a singer, you probably pretend that you're a rockstar, with the music blaring while you're rocking down the highway. Don't be embarrassed. I think that's freaking awesome. But how many times have you caught yourself singing the wrong lyrics because you weren't really sure what they were? I'm certainly guilty of that. And that's why Aunt Maria's Elephants are in my head today.

I'm sure you're familiar with the song "Lookin' Out My Back Door" by Creedence Clearwater Revival (or CCR for short). If you aren't, just hit the play button at the top of this post. Let the sweet sounds of John Fogerty go in your ears and straight into your head. You know that guy? That's John Fogerty, rock and roll singer. Do you even know who John Fogerty is? He did Creedence Clearwater Revival. Yeah he did all that shit. I don't listen to his music, but you know that John Fogerty - hell of a guy.

Anyway, there are these lyrics in the middle of the song that I always thought said, "Aunt Maria's elephants are playing in the sand." I've been singing those lyrics for as long as I can remember. It wasn't until recently that I found out that the actual lyrics are "Tambourines and elephants are playing in the band" followed by "Won't you take a ride on the flyin' spoon? Doo, doo doo. Wond'rous apparition, provided by magician. Doo doo doo lookin' out my back door." Who would've known? Tambourines and elephants? That doesn't make sense. Now Aunt Maria's elephants? That's an idea I can really get behind.

Aunt Maria is my Aunt (obviously). She is married to my Uncle Rick, who is my Mom's brother. She's wonderful, and does a great job of keeping him in line and looking out for the rest of us. "Lookin' Out My Back Door" is not the first time that I've paid tribute to her in song when I was unsure of the real words. Are you familiar with the Nirvana song "Come as You Are?" There's a part in the song when it goes "Memory, yeah. Memory, yeah. Memory, yeah." Well I always thought that Kurt Cobain was singing "Aunt Maria. Aunt Maria. Aunt Maria." I know I didn't fully believe that these were the real lyrics, but since I didn't know them, I felt more comfortable saying Aunt Maria.

So that's what is in my head. Do you ever hear lyrics a different way than they really are? Are you one of the people who sings "Scuse me while I kiss this guy", "Hold me closer Tony Danza", "Dirty deeds done with sheep" or "I'm not talkin' 'bout the linen, and I don't want to change your life..."? What incorrect song lyrics are in your head?

 - pookon -

www.pookon.com
https://twitter.com/pookondotcom
https://www.facebook.com/MilwaukeeIceman

No comments: