Sunday, October 05, 2014

It's in My Head - #5: The Joy of Laughter

There are a lot of things they were in my head today. Things that cannot be repeated, that should not be repeated and will not be repeated. Too bad that I have a recording of them. That means you probably will hear them someday (via The Daily Burner) because that nonsense always finds a way to get out in the open. That's kind of how I roll. If I really wanted to, I could get into specifics. I could give you the play by play dialogue of all the ideas, thoughts and things that were and were not spoken. But I'm not going to. Because none of that really matters when looking at the big picture. I don't need to show all of the individual pieces because what happened in my head could be summed up in a feeling - the joy of laughter.

I'm intentionally being cryptic because there's no sense in wasting time explaining why my night was filled with laughter. This isn't a well thought out story that has a clear cut beginning, middle and end. This is a hastily thrown together post that was conceived at the last minute because only now has my face stopped hurting from smiling too much. Ever have a good laugh? I mean a really good laugh where it hurts so much you want it to stop but at the same time you never want it to end? Try stifling that for 45 minutes when your friend is utterly ridiculous and unbelievably genius at the same time (because it is unprofessional to break character when recording). It's so stupid that it is brilliant and too brilliant to be stupid. I don't understand how someone can come up with something wholly original but familiar at the same time that makes me lose my mind.

But it was the those things in my head that made me laugh so hard. I know I have great ideas. But these ones wouldn't have been so great if I had kept them to myself. When I shared them, they became our ideas and the other side of the story was told in a way that I could have never imagined. I had one vision, one plan and one method for madness. It's amazing what another person can do when you let them get inside your head and they let you get inside theirs. That's the only way this kind of laughter was possible. If it wasn't for my frequent collaborator, I would have just been sitting around laughing by myself. But instead we were making each other laugh. I wouldn't have it any other way.

The World is a terrible place. I do my best to ignore it, but no matter where I turn there is anger and sadness. It can really drag you down into very dark places if you let it overcome you. But that is when the pure joy of laughter is needed the most to lighten the mood and bring you back up again. I get that there is a time to be serious and that there is a time to cry. But you can't let that be all the time. I often find myself making that mistake. So I add humor and a little bit of nonsense to daily life, when I'm with other people and when I'm alone. But those are just normal laughs. If you find someone who can make you laugh just as hard as you make them laugh, make sure you tell them how much you appreciate it. Make sure that person is a big part of your life. This was exactly what I needed. I needed to laugh in a way that few people understand. So Cousin Kevin, thanks for being the bane (pun intended) of my sadness. I told you what was in my head, and I thank you for sharing what was in your head. A million laughs pal. 

 - pookon -

www.pookon.com
https://twitter.com/pookondotcom
https://www.facebook.com/MilwaukeeIceman

No comments: