Wednesday, October 01, 2014

It's in My Head - #1: Zombie

I get bored pretty often. Being ugly and mean to your friends often brings upon those results. So I have no one to blame but myself. Look, I'm not complaining here folks so don't start crying for me or throwing garbage in my general direction. I'm just stating the obvious. My Uncle Rick once said that there's a positive in every scenario. Here's this one - my boredom leads to creative outbursts. Last year I had two really good ones. In June of 2013 I did The Write Month, where I decided to write every day because I was sorely lacking in that department. Then later that year in October I decided to do another daily adventure in what I called Pickle the Day, where I took a picture every day and talked about it. Both of those adventures can be found in the "From the Archives" section on the right. But that's old news. Here's what I feel like doing this October - It's in Your Head.

When I say "your head" I don't really mean your head (author's note: I have since changed the title to It's in My Head). Although if you do want to tell me what's in your head, comment below or on Facebook when I share the daily post. It's what's in my head that I want to talk about. There's a lot of things moving around in there. I'm no different than any other human being. People have thoughts and ideas all the time. But mine are special. Mine are unique. You know why? Because they belong to me. I'm the only one who has them. Even if it sounds like something that already exists, chances are I'm going to put my own spin on it and offer up my opinion. After all - it is in my head.


I came up with the idea a while back. It's too simple to not use for a daily feature. Why? Because every day I can literally write about anything. Any stupid little idea that pops into my head. Like Zombies. Why Zombies you ask? And why capitalize it even though that is not grammatically correct? The answer to the first question is because of the song by The Cranberries. The answer to the second question is because I feel like it. If you've never heard the song Zombie, then I implore you to click on the play button above (if you haven't already done so). When the question of what's "in your head?" is asked, the logical answer is always Zombies. With their tanks and their bombs and their bombs and their guns. Because in your head they are fighting. But what if they are not fighting? What if they are heading to the local retail store because Macy's was having a blowout sale? Who knows man. Zombies have changed thanks to their immersion into our everyday culture. Thanks to George A. Romero (who started it all), The Walking Dead, The Resident Evil Series (Movies + Video Games), Zombieland, World War Z, the game Plants vs. Zombies and countless others including my personal favorite - Shaun of the Dead. You know about Zombies. But are they in your head?

They are in my head thanks to my brother Timmy (who loved The Cranberries more than any young man should) and my sister Jenny (who would obnoxious belt out the song while I played it on guitar). Sometimes I think - were we wrong to cremate Timmy's body instead of burying it in the ground? He died too young and too suddenly to leave behind a list of wishes for his funeral and burial arrangements. Since he loved Zombies so much, shouldn't we have given him the possibility of being one? I know it's a weird thought, but that's what's in my head. I don't think we are supposed to talk about the deceased with what some might consider to be disrespect, but I feel like he would agree with me.

And finally - yes, I know that this song doesn't have anything to do with real Zombies. It's a protest song about the IRA bomb attacks in Warrington, England in 1993 and the violence that led another child being slowly taken away by death. Calling these soldiers Zombies was a slight on the people who carried out the atrocities by mindlessly following orders. Neither sides were willing to negotiate with each other and the silence led to the violence. Or at least that's what the internet told me. When you listen to the lyrics it's actually a pretty freakin' depressing song. Well, there goes my day. And while I cry about the people who were killed due to unnecessary acts of war, I must ask you - what's in your head?

 - pookon -

www.pookon.com
https://twitter.com/pookondotcom
https://www.facebook.com/MilwaukeeIceman

No comments: