Thursday, October 09, 2014

It's in My Head - #9: Raiders of the Lost Fridge

One of the first things I always do when I go over to someone's house is raid the fridge. If it's a stranger's house or if I'm there for the first time, I'm not just gotta plunder that treasure chest and have their moms thinking, "What kind of pirate did my son bring over?" I at least have a little respect for others and their possessions. But if I'm at my Mom's or a relative's house, it's finder's keepers, loser's weepers. Most times I'm not even hungry. But it's just such a normal behavior. It's like why Indiana Jones keeps going on all these adventures despite the fact that he probably gets a pretty good salary as a college professor (with a Doctorate at that). In the classroom you don't have to worry about snakes. For someone who is deathly afraid of them like Indy, you'd think he'd be choose anything but snakes and kick back and collect a paycheck. But being a college professor is not comfortable for Indy. I'm also not comfortable being a "college professor", so I venture into the fridge searching for idols and buried treasure. I have to admit that searching through the fridge is me going on an Indiana Jones adventure. And me not eating food is like Dr. Henry Jones Jr. teaching an archaeology class. I only feel normal don't feel quite so alone when I've got some food to keep me company. So I guess that's how I got to be where I am today. Couldn't stop raiding the fridge. Even Indiana Jones would take some time off in between fighting Nazis and false gods who rip your heart out. You can't always be out searching for priceless biblical artifacts. So I shouldn't always be eating.

But hey! Some of that stuff is beautiful and it's filled with richness beyond belief! But it also comes with a warning - "You must choose, but choose wisely, for as the real grail brings eternal life, the false grail brings death". So far I've chosen poorly. Something has got to be done about it. I'm not going to live to be Indiana Jones' age if I keep Raiding the Lost Fridge. How am I going to stop? How do you break a habit? How do you unlearn something that you have taught yourself and have practiced meticulously every day for your entire life. You stop because you have to, not because you want to. You stop because your body is fighting back because you are abusing it. You stop because your bank account can't handle any more medical bills. You stop because people secretly make fun of you behind your back for being overweight. You stop because women don't find you attractive and they never will. You stop because you're never comfortable - not sitting down, not standing up and definitely not while in motion. You stop because if you don't, you're going to die. Time for me to stop.

Refrigerators and Indiana Jones are in my head. Raiders of the Lost Fridge sounds like a goofy spoof title of a movie I'd like to see done with claymation. I didn't expect to take a dark turn. The refrigerator light is usually on to guide me. But the door has been closed and sometimes I go down that path. That's what happens in my head - the best intentions to be funny and to not take things seriously sometimes have to be realistic. Because death is not a laughing matter. We're all going to die. The World has already established that for us. There is no Holy Grail that will give eternal life. Life isn't a race, so why am I trying to cross the finish line before all of you do? I don't know. I never had an answer for that one. Why didn't that appear in my head? What impulses in your head do you have to resist?    

 - pookon -

www.pookon.com
https://twitter.com/pookondotcom
https://www.facebook.com/MilwaukeeIceman

No comments: