Monday, October 12, 2015

Even it Out - Day 12 (Monday October 12th)

It's incredibly hard to not eat. It obviously can be done. It's not impossible. But when you're sitting around doing nothing and there is plenty of available food within reach, it takes a whole lot of self control to not give in. All I have to say is thank God for baseball and my scale. Without those two, I for sure would have cheated by now. The Major League Baseball playoffs are my absolute favorite. That is probably the only reason why I love October. Sure, it would be nice to have my Brewers in it again like in 2008 and 2011 (and I have my Timehop to remind me how amazing that was), but I've come to realize that I'm in love with a losing franchise. 1982 and 2011 are the best that it is ever going to get, so if I want to see a winning team I better jump ship and ride a new horse. I'm too invested to turn back now, so every year I pick an American League team and follow them with all my heart in the playoffs. 

This year I'm all about the Houston Astros. Of course there's the Brewers connection with Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers, but I'm more into the fact that they lost 111 games as recently as 2013 and are back in the playoffs. Since you have to make a lot of great draft picks and moves to pull that off, it gives me a little hope that we signed our GM, David Stearns, from their system (he was assistant GM from 2012 - 2015). We don't have a great shot to get back in the playoffs over the next 5 years, but that signing alone makes it seem more likely to happen. But let's talk about that if the Brewers ever get back to the playoffs. I'm loving every minute of the post season, so you can't tear me away from the TV, radio or Internet while these games are going on. There's something so amazingly wonderful about do or die baseball that makes every game, every inning, every play and every pitch important. It just doesn't feel that way in April. Without that I don't know what I would do. Probably eat.

If not for the scale, I don't know where I would be right now. That sounds like a weird thing to say because I've gone the majority of my adult life avoiding one. Why would I ever want to put a number on my obesity? I know I'm fat. I've known that for my entire life. Kids in Elementary and High School reminded me about it every day. So why would I want to relive that? Because I need to know now. You can't measure weight loss without knowing where it all begins and how it all ends. I was always afraid of getting on a scale, worried it would either break or make fun of me, displaying "please - one at a time" instead of my weight. But eventually I had no choice. That very fear has become my saving grace this week. If not for the noticeable progress in the numbers, I would be tempted to give up. But those numbers show results. They show that this experiment (no matter how bizarre) is working.

So hooray for baseball! Hooray for the scale! And hooray for me I guess.

 - pookon -

http://www.pookon.com/
https://twitter.com/pookondotcom
https://www.facebook.com/MilwaukeeIceman

No comments: