Friday, March 28, 2008

1988 called, it wants its program back

The reasoning of my rant is this: I want to bitch and moan about my program that I use on a daily basis at work and the limitations that it offers. Basically, it is two colored (white on blue background) just like a computer that we had when I lived on 56th street when I was 8 years old. That computer had two colors - black screen with green writing. The graphics were extremely basic, but it was good enough for playing Tank Wars and Oregon Trail. That was 1988, this is 2008. You'd think that it 20 years they could have developed a program that isn't monochromatic. The functionality is limited, and the text is very retro, but not in a cool retro kind of way. It times out all of the time, and it doesn't offer pictures or Internet links. If it was the 20th Century, then this program would be King of the World.

The trouble is that it is not the 20th Century, and the World has been forever changed since Al Gore invented the Internet. The program we switched into last week is....gasp!....Internet based! Who would've thought that we could use the Internet to our advantage? Certainly not our company! There are tons of things that our company does that keeps us firmly rooted in the old days, but I can't be terribly specific due to the fact that I need to continue to pick up a pay check every two weeks so that I can stay connected to my precious Internet. I'm trying to be a little bit discreet, because I've heard stories of people getting in trouble with the law and their jobs for because of stuff posted on Facebook. I've got this blog link on Facebook, as well as on my website. I've seen the numbers, and I know that no one comes here to read this shit, but that doesn't mean that someday (like if I suddenly get famous) that someone will come on here and see this and I get in trouble. That is why discretion is key to my rants.

Beating around the bush, dancing around the issues, and putting a spin on things to ensure a good public image have never been my strong point, which (aside from the fact that I need to be inebriated to write a witty and insightful article) was the reason that I gave up on Journalism. In Journalism, it is important to always need to come off as a professional and have an unbiased opinion. I am almost the complete opposite of professional and unbiased. I'm sick and tired of pretending that technology hasn't advanced, and staying rooted in 1988 when I'm at work. The second I leave, I'm on my cellphone talking to someone across the country, accessing WiFi Internet on my iPod so I can tell them what the weather is like were they live. It's obvious that 1988 has come and gone, and as soon as people at my company realize that, I guess it won't give me anything to bitch about, which is always a good thing.

But then again, if it weren't for bitching, then I guess I wouldn't have anything to say on here. My Mom always told me that if you can't say anything nice, then don't say anything at all. I believe that living life by that statement would regulate to me talking 3 times a year - 4 tops. I love to complain, but I have yet to know if you care or not. If you want to bitch at me, then certainly feel free to do so in the comment section. If anything, you'll give me some fuel for my fire so that I retort with a blog post bitching about you. Cause that's all we really want anyway - to complete the circle of life. The Lion King ain't got shit on me.

- pookon -

No comments: