Thursday, March 20, 2008

Misery loves Three's Company

Because, after all - who doesn't? Some will say that two is a couple, and three is a crowd, but I think that comedy explodes from a crowd of close people who can play off of each other. Stand up is great, but situational comedy will always rule in my book because of the interaction between the characters. I studied human behavior and communication in college, and almost all of the discussions we had involved interpersonal communication. Communication is a two way street, and if more people occupy that street, things get a bit complicated. I started out trying to be funny (with the title of this post) but in actuality, I was trying to speak about a serious topic.

Misery. There. It even looks rough just sitting there. I know that it looks rough when I see it in the mirror every morning and every night. Sometimes I can catch it staring back at me in my computer monitor when I pull up a dark screen. Sometimes I even talk to the misery. I say, "Hi Misery!" Misery just stares back at me and says, "you're gonna be drinking early today." A few glimpses is all I get per day, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist when I can't see it. In fact, I think that I'm miserable so often that it is starting to be comical. Just give me a happy-go-lucky, no care in the world roommate (which is definitely not my current roommate Fresno Chris) and we'd have ourselves one laughable "odd couple" sitcom brewing right in my 2 bedroom apartment. Think off all the zany hijinks that would go on there! You'd bust a gut from all of the nonstop laughter. I don't even know why I'm so miserable anymore. I'm so pissed off at the world right now that I start to forget why I got so pissed off in the first place, and why I'm still all pissy.

I think I just like attention, and nothing screams attention more than being angry all of the time when you are usually jovial and grinning like an idiot. Everyone expects me to be laughing and goofing around, which is why I am never taken seriously. Sometimes it works in my favor, because I can say things and get away with it because no one would believe that I actually meant it. That has gotten me out of some sticky situations, but at the same time it's been a detriment because my opinion generally doesn't matter. Every now and then, I've got something good to say. I just wish that people would listen. It seems like people only pay attention if you're being funny. I personally think I'm hilarious, and I find it hard to be serious, but every once in a while I pull it together and act normal. You wait, I just might do it to you someday.

I initially started typing this entry on February 4 2008. Obviously, a lot has changed since then. I don't really feel all that miserable anymore. It might be because winter is almost over and spring time is just around the corner. Baseball is being played down in Arizona, but within a week, the Brewers will be back at Miller Park and the best 6 (hopefully 7) months of my year begin. Brewers baseball, beer, and good weather - how could anyone be miserable with that stuff going on? There's nothing left to be sad about one the baseball season kicks off. Oh what a difference a month makes. Let this be a lesson - things will always get better and don't let depression or misery get to you Artax, or else you'll meet your doom and end up at the bottom of the Swamp of Sadness.

- pookon -

http://www.pookon.com/

No comments: