Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Hunger Stike : Hour 18

So we're on hour 18 right now of my hunger strike, and to be honest with you, I'm not hungry at all. I was just doing dishes, and I was in close proximity to food, and I had no intention of putting any of it in my mouth. Before you congratulate me and award me a gold star sticker, I'd like to point out that all of the food was several days old and well caked on plates and bowls. I don't think even the Starvin' Marvins of Ethiopia would mow down on that crap. I should really be doing this cause for hungry kids or some shit, because they are the ones who need nourishment for survival. I'll tell you what, I'm going to pledge $1 for every hour that I abstain from food then I am going to give that money to my Mom so that she can get it to the proper charities or families that are in dire need of help. That way I'll feel like I am doing something instead of just being silly. If you read this and actually care, you could also pledge some sort of donation to the hungry hungry (and I'm talking about those board game Hippos) and when this is all said and done we can present my Mom with an envelope of cash. I know that we don't have a lot of money, but there are people out there who have less than we do. It's like the Arrested Development song Mr. Wendell - "Here, have a dollar. In fact, no, brotherman, here have two. Two dollars means a snack for me, But it means a big deal to you." I orginally picked the bowling logo because it was funny, and I intended to make fun of people going on hunger strikes, but in fact this really means something. In one of the later postings, I'll shed a little light on hunger strikes and give my opinion on them, but for now we'll stick to the topic on hand. I picked the matchstick because it still is humourous, but at the same time it's lighting a flame and getting something started. Which leads me into really my only purpose for doing this.
space
So I still don't really know why I'm doing this, and although you might not really care why I do things, I still think that there is supposed to be a reason for everything. Without getting all philosophical and religious, I believe that everyone is on this planet for a reason and one day we will all get to do our part (be it big or small) to change the world. I don't think mine has come yet, but I do know that this is not it. This is just me being a little depressed and looking for a little something to break me out of a funk. I hate myself right now, so it's tough for me to be positive. If I can prove to myself that I can set a goal and achieve it, then maybe I am not a total loser, failure, and disappointment to my family and friends. You know, not to discredit what I am doing, but I just realized that there really is no one around to make sure that I'm not sneaking candy bars when no one is looking or raiding the fridge after midnight like a sinister mogwai. You pretty much just have to go by my word, and if you don't believe me, I completely understand you because I lie all the time. I've never been serious for a moment in my entire life, and even at the most serious of times (family illness, my parent's divorce) I'm cracking jokes and trying to lighten the mood. I always tell people to not even to take me seriously cause I'm full of shit and I'm all talk and no game. Well this time I'm bringing the game when I say I'm going on a hunger strike. I can't promise to make a difference or bring attention to an issue, nor can I promise to keep this going for an extended period of time (which would be ridiculously unhealthy). I can promise to pay attention to what I am doing and to start acting in moderation. It's time to get on up and get healthy, and I think that this is a nice start. 18 hours isn't a whole lot of time. In fact it is next to nothing. But it is a start. And everything must have a start before it can end. Let's hope that the ending is a little more far off than 1:30 am tonight, cause what's the point in a 24-hour hunger strike? See you in 6 hours...

- pookon -

http://www.pookon.com/
email : pookondotcom@gmail.com

No comments: