Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Hunger Strike : Hour 42

Life sucks when you are hungry because it's all that you think about. Nothing else matters except getting a little tiny bit of food in your tummy. Just enough to get you by until the next time that you can eat. At least that is the way that it is for people who are really starving. This Hunger Strike may seem like a joke to some of you, but this has given me a brand new perspective on things. By stepping outside of my comfort zone and making a sacrifice (albeit a rather small one), I feel like I have learned something. I think that I'm a little bit more tolerant of other people, and I can understand why people do things. When I ell people that I'm on a Hunger Strike for no reason, they stare blankly at me, then ask the eternal question - why? I still don't have a good answer for that question. I just tell people I'm doing it because I've never done it before. That seems to suffice for now, but once we get to 72 hours or something I'm going to have to come up with something a little more concrete. But knowing me, I'll probably fail by then, so I won't need to answer questions. But what do I know, I'm just a guy.

So the temptation has been strong, and it has been worse considering that I neglected to tell anyone that I was on a Hunger Strike. This was painfully obvious when Jenny stopped over to give me my mail, and she cooked up a big sweet bag of microwave popcorn. You all know how wonderfully fantastic that stuff smells. Now imagine how wonderful it smells after not eating for 42 hours. I'm pretty sure that's what Heaven smells like. They should make air fresheners, candles and incense that smells like microwave popcorn, but then people would probably start eating the canisters, wax and sticks. I know I would.
space
So other than a little distraction and a whiff of fantastic smells coming from Applebee's at Bayshore Mall and when I passed by Grecian Delight on the way home, I'm doing pretty good. I don't even feel like eating yet. Apparently the hunger hasn't hit me yet. I'm pretty sure that's tomorrow when I wake up after not eating for a total of 54 hours. If my alarm doesn't wake me up in the morning, my stomach certainly would. Then I would yell and curse at it, punch it, and set the sleep timer. Just like I do with my alarm clock. And then I will get up and go to work and think about food all day. Or something like that. I just hope that my cat Gordon doesn't start looking like one of those savory rotisserie chickens that you buy at the grocery store. Now that would be make for an interesting evening. Me chasing him around the apartment, and him ducking and hiding under and behind every object within range. Please Lord don't let it come down to that. I'd eat my own arm before I sunk my teeth into my baby. Well that's it for now, I'll throw another post up here before I head off to bed tonight. Oh, and start saving some food for me. When this ends, I'm gonna feast like the Whos in the Grinch Who Stole Christmas. Roast Beast here I come!


- pookon -

www.pookon.com
email : pookondotcom@gmail.com

No comments: