Thursday, November 06, 2008

Hunger Strike : Hour 60

So I woke up this morning with a bit of a hunger headache, and for the first time since this started, I felt a little weak. I chalked it up to normal morning feelings and grogginess, but I'm pretty sure that the HS has a little something to do with it. When I was younger, I used to get some real badass migraine headaches, and sometimes they would incapacitate me for hours. I used to have to go home sick (or stay home) from school sometimes because the only thing that would cure them was sleep. Sometime around my late teenage years I stopped getting them, and it was a total relief. I never really knew what caused them, but on certain occasions I remember it being because I didn't eat anything. Granted I was a whole lot smaller back then and didn't have as much reserves (fat) to keep my body going without food, but I'm still getting worried I might get them again if I keep this up. I don't know if you have ever had a migraine headache, but it's pretty much one of the worst feeling that can happen inside of your head. It's a persistent pounding that never ceases, and you start sweating hardcore. It's like a bad fever, only at the time there was no medicine that could remedy the pain. Then one day they just went away. God I hope they don't come back.

I asked Coach Gordon Bombay (my cat, not Emilio Estevez) to strike with me, and he just meowed, so I gave him some food. It's rough being in this alone. I thought for sure he'd be my HS ally. He's just a cat for Christ's sake, what the heck did I expect from him? So I started my morning the usual way by surfing the internet and listening to the Doug Russell show on AM 1250 WSSP. Do you know how many food commercials/sponsors there are on the radio? The fact that Palermo's Pizza is giving away pizza cutters at this Friday's Admirals game made me start to salivate. And those are just cutters, not actual pizzas.

So I pretty much passed out for the entire bus ride to work (which is about 1 hour, including a change of buses at Bayshore Mall) and kind of stumbled off of the bus and into work. I was feeling a bit space out this morning as I started my work, so I have a feeling it's going to be a pretty interesting day. I punched in at 9:04 am, and started working at 9:10 am (tee hee). At 9:15 am an email popped up in my inbox alerting me that there were free eats (unnamed treats) in the breakroom. Curiosity almost got the best of me, as I was so close to getting up to go check out what I would be missing out on, but I decided not to. It's bad enough that I know there are free eats in the vicinity, I don't need to torture myself any further by actually looking at them.

Curiosity got the best of me, and I went and looked. NACHOS. Why did it have to be Nachos? I LOVE Nachos. Oh C'mon Iceman, show a little backbone. I sure picked a hell of a day to stop eating. And then my internet went down for an hour, and I was sitting in my cubicle doing nothing. Everything that I do is either internet based or on a shared network drive, so for an hour I sat here and thought about the free nachos in the breakroom. Have you ever noticed how often people talk about food? The big conversation every day is where are you going for lunch. My friend Crystal was thinking about going to Jimmy Johns. Lisa is eating nachos at her desk. Trey had some kind of soup, and the aroma filled the air and drove me batshit crazy. So now I'm on the edge of insanity and getting crazier by the minute. But I think I promised 72 hours (3 days) so I will at least wait until that time has past before I decide to keep going or end the strike. I guess we'll find out when that time comes. Hey, at least so far I've raised $60 for charity. That's got to be good, right?

- pookon -

No comments: