Friday, November 07, 2008

Hunger Strike : Hour 72 (3 Days)

Hunger Strike! makes me think of Panda Watch! as reported by Brian Fantana on Anchorman. It's completely pointless and there's no reason why people are getting into it. While I can't compare myself to ling-wong (the giant panda at the San Diego zoo) and I certainly won't be getting as much coverage, it still makes me laugh to compare Hunger Strike! to Panda Watch!.

Ron Burgundy: Let's go to Brian Fantana who's live on the scene with a Channel 4 News exclusive. Brian? Brian Fantana: Panda Watch! The mood is tense; I have been on some serious, serious reports but nothing quite like this. I uh... Ching... King is inside right now. I tried to get an interview with him, but they said no, you can't do that he's a live bear, he will literally rip your face off. Hey, you're making me look stupid. Get out here, Panda Jerk. Ron Burgundy: Great story. Compelling, and rich. That's Classic! (slapping the knee). That shit gets me every time.

But in all seriousness, I think that it is time to end this Hunger Strike. If I had a cause or a reason behind it, then I could have an excuse for keeping the streak alive. But I don't, so I am just purposefully hurting my body by denying it nutrients and vitamins that it needs in order to operate. I almost hit a wall earlier today, and although I'll admit it's fun to space out and get all woozy while watching Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas on my iPod in the breakroom, enough is enough. I don't need to pass out because my system shuts down. I do have health insurance, but I'd prefer to not use it unless it is completely necessary. This Hunger Strike is anything but. The problem that I had today is that I couldn't concentrate on my work, and when you are implementing rates and inventories for hotels, if you make a small mistake it can be very costly for the company. If I enter a rate as $159 a night when it should have been $195 a night, the hotel is still going to charge us our agreed upon contracted rate of $195 a night, meaning that our company has to cover the losses. Now I'm never one to care much about their job or the company that they work for, but I'd rather like it if I didn't get yelled at or chewed out by my 5 bosses. Because like Office Space, I do have 5 bosses. Oh, and I also have a swingline stapler in my desk drawer, but sadly it isn't red. Although I don't really like my job, I don't want to get fired because I have too many bills to pay and I like sleeping indoors and having heat and electricity. So since my work performance has started to suffer, I MAY have to end this strike. I haven't made a final decision yet, but at least I made it 72 hours (3 Days). That's something to be proud of I guess.

So I almost gave up tonight, but I kept my composure and made it through dinner without slipping up. We went out to the Silver Springhouse to celebrate my grandpa's 84th birthday, and everyone ate dinner and appetizers except for me. My Dad questioned my Hunger Strike and told me that I should just order some food, but I decided that I've come too far to quit now. I'm just gonna keep riding this out until I get too hungry to function, or until I feel like eating again. I'll probably top out around the 96 hour mark (4 days) because I need to start eating again so I don't get sick. I can't afford to get sick, but I can afford to eat healthier. And in the end (no matter what extreme measures I took to get there) this is what it's all about - being open to change. I'd like to end this tomorrow, but I've already inspired both Joey Kanz and Jenny Reck to start Hunger Strikes of their own. Now that they have gotten on board to start the revolution, I don't think that I can stop now. I needed a Hunger Strike ally along the way (Gordon was the closest one who helped me out) but didn't get one, so now it is my chance to be there for someone else so they don't have to go it alone. But who knows what's going to happen tomorrow. I'm just kind of making this shit up as I go along. I wouldn't have it any other way. C ya later alligator.

- pookon -

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i just watched office space yesterday.