Thursday, June 13, 2013

The Write Month: June 13 - Driving On








On Saturday I talked about a song that conjures up a specific memory. But has there ever been a song that really spoke to you and described a certain time in your life? For Anita Miller it was Simon and Garfunkel's "America". It explained why she was leaving home to become a stewardess. The song expressed exactly what she wanted to say in words and it made perfect sense at that moment in her life. I always wanted something like that. Something that described what I was going through. Something that me, the writer, couldn't figure out how to say. When I was lost and didn't know where to turn I looked to my brother Timmy for inspiration. Even after he is gone he is still providing me with the answers. I found this song "Driving On" in The Reck Room archives of songs that he recorded but for whatever reason never made it on an album. There are plenty of songs that I listened to for the first time but this one stuck with me. It was in my head when I went to sleep and again when I woke to face a new day. I carried it with me as I tried to navigate the confusing path in front of me. I never know how I manage to do live another day without my best friend but somehow I'm able to do it. I just keep driving on.

That's all I really have to say that this song doesn't already say. I still can't believe that I found this song at a time when I needed it most. Call it fate, chance, an act of God or whatever you want, but I prefer to see it as my Guardian Angel looking out for me. Timmy always had a way of making things seem ok even when they weren't. He could make me laugh with just a smile. Neither of us had a clue what to do with our lives but we knew that as long as we had each other everything would be alright. So things haven't been alright these last 2 years. But I'm still here. I'm still looking for a purpose in life. So I'll keep driving on towards the rising sun where I know good feelings last a long long time...

 - pookon - 

No comments: