Sunday, June 09, 2013

The Write Month: June 9 - Do the Write Thing

I first came up with the idea of the Write Month when I was camping with my Dad. If you missed that entry simply follow this link to check that out. Basically I needed to go back to my roots as a writer and throw some of my ideas down on the page, or on the computer screen if you will. Even though I'm quite proud of my idea and the content that I have come up with so far, I think that I picked one hell of a week to commit to writing every single day. But before I talk about the challenges of trying to come up with some fresh content on a daily basis let me first give you a recap of my week to make me feel better about how difficult it was for me to post something new every day this week.

Saturday June 1st - I was camping with my Dad near Lake Geneva and I promised myself that I would take a break from my phone, which I spend way too much time using. But when I came up with this idea I had to blog about it because I forgot to buy a notebook at Walmart. My whole idea was to go back to the days that I used to write with a pen on paper and have a daily journal that would be a better representation of my daily life than my blog or website does. That night I had a fire and stayed up until 3am. My Dad stayed up until a little after 1am and we just talked for hours. We haven't done that in years. It was great.

Sunday June 2nd - Woke up at 6am because I couldn't sleep. Started the fire so I had something to do and I stared into it for a few hours which led to this blog post.  After packing up camp around 1pm we went to the Southern Wisconsin Veterans Memorial Cemetery in Union Grove, which is where my Grandpa (Dad's Dad) is buried. He died on May 29, 2012 and when we had the burial the headstone wasn't done yet. I wanted to go back because it has been a year since he died and I wanted to come here and reflect. When I got home I had to mow my Mom's lawn and Eddie bought Chinese food, which led to the post about fortune cookies on Monday. This was a very exhausting weekend but in the same way it was exactly what I needed. I need to get out more and step outside the comfort of my home.

Monday June 3rd - Nothing out of the ordinary happened today but that didn't mean today was an easy going day. Worked 930 - 5 at the day job then went to work at Miller Park from 6-10. It was a very uneventful day and the Milwaukee Brewers lost to the Oakland Athletics 10-2. It was another small turnout at Miller Park as the Brewers continued what has been a very disappointing season. Since my job is directly related to attendance (I'm an order taker on the Club Level. If there aren't any people there, I can't take orders and make money trough tips) I did a lot of standing around. I felt like my time was wasted and could have been better spent doing other things. But at least I got paid I guess.

Tuesday June 4th - I stepped over an anthill this morning and spared the lives of an entire colony of innocent ants. Worked the 930-5 day job again then went to the Brewers game with Cousin Kevin. News broke about Major League Baseball possibly handing out a 100 game suspension to Ryan Braun for his connection to the Miami Biogenesis Clinic which prompted me to state for all those who bear to listen that I don't care because baseball is only a game. It's entertainment. It is not my life. I have so many better things to do then care about millionaires playing a children's game. But that having been said I do still enjoy going to those games and the Brewers won 4-3 on a walkoff hit in the 10th inning. 

Wednesday June 5th - Worked 930-615 at the day job but it was one of those days that I love - when the Brewers play a day game so I have something to do at work that distracts me from how mundane my job really is. Today was the most uneventful day but I certainly welcomed it. After work I went over to my Mom's to do laundry and we hung out. Despite having more time today than I did in the last few I didn't get anything accomplished today. But sometimes you just need a day to rest and recover.

Thursday June 6th - Another typical day in the summer for me. Worked 930-5 at the day job and 6-10 at Miller Park. It was another typical game for the Brewers as they lost to the Phillies by a score of 5-1. The Brewers are the 3rd worst team in the Major Leagues but none of that really mattered to me as I sat outside at work complaining about the weather here in Wisconsin. I don't like to bitch much about things that are out of my control but this is getting ridiculous. How is it only 50 degrees in June? What the hell is going on here? Whatever happened to that Global Warming shit?

Friday June 7th - Worked the day job from 9-5 then Miller Park from 6-10. It would have been another average day (except for my midday rant about a f****** parking spot) but after work I went out to the bars with my friends from Miller Park. I always forget how much I really love that job because the people who I work with are amazing. There's never a dull moment there and plenty of things to laugh about. These people provided me with one of the more epic nights of my life when "nothing could possibly go wrong". It was a great reminder that people make life worth living. Not things, or money or places you can go. It's who you do it with.

Saturday June 8th - Last night I heard Chicago's Saturday in the Park and it conjured up a specific memory of hanging out with Timmy on the 3rd of July on Milwaukee's Lakefront. Today was a day of parties and I would spend this Saturday in the park. I went up to Lomira for a few hours for my friend TJ's wedding party. Back in March I went out to Las Vegas as he got married to Megan and so now they had a party back home for everyone who couldn't make it out there. It was nice to hang out with all my friends because I stay so busy I often forget to stop and do that. Then I went to my cousin Joey's 6th birthday party where I hung out with my family. When you're with the Kurutz's (my Mom's side of the family) there is never a dull moment. I watched the Brewers game with BK3 and they actually won for a change. At the end of the night I had a nice long conversation with my Aunt Susan about getting older, growing up and figuring out who you are as a person. It was a great talk and I certainly feel comfortable talking to her about some real life issues. I'll keep that in mind for the future.

This was a lot of stuff to get through just to prove this one point - it was difficult for me to find the time to write something new every day here on the blog. But I did it. I don't expect you to be impressed or anything and I am in no way bragging about it. A lot of people have busier lives than I do working multiple jobs and taking care of their children or have other time consuming responsibilities. I get it. But I set forth a challenge and for the first week of the month I succeeded. I believe in celebrating even the little things in life because isn't that what makes life special? I'm going to stay positive in a world that seems to be based in negativity so I don't care what any one else says about me or what I do. As long as I am enjoying my life then it is none of your business. Hopefully you are one of my supporters who will continue to encourage me to live life and write about it every day instead of someone who will hate on me for sensationalizing the mundane. But that's what I do with my life. I make the most of it. And if you don't like you can do whatever you want. I've got enough friends and family who care about me and continue to push me to keep doing what I'm doing. And at this time in this moment, what I'm doing is pretty damn good.

 - pookon - 

No comments: