Sunday, June 30, 2013

The Write Month: June 30 - A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood

Today is June 30th and the end of The Write Month. It's time for me to sit down with you and give some of my closing thoughts. What have we learned this month neighbors? I didn't know how to properly close this segment of my life so I turned to a great friend and mentor of mine - Mr. Fred Rogers, a man who I have never met but has been a part of my life since I was a small child. He had a way of talking like he was speaking only to you and said things in a very clear and easy way. There was no double meaning. Nothing was left up for interpretation. Mr. Rogers doesn't insult you by being smug. He was a straight shooter and above all left you with a comforting feeling that everything was going to be all right. 

I think that is the number 1 thing that I have learned this month. There have been so many challenges and I have talked about a lot of things both good and bad. You've probably learned a thing or two about who I am and the struggles I go through. I know you are facing a struggle of your own. We all are. But everything is going to be all right. When I first started this month it seemed like a monumental task. Write every day? That's insane! How can I possibly come up with so much material? And balance 2 jobs, my family and friends, taking care of my cat, paying bills, being responsible, having fun, going on trips, staying sane and most importantly, taking care of myself. Think about how many things you do at the same time. Do you ever wonder how you do it? I do. How am I still alive? How did I make it this far in life? How did I have this much success? How have I been able to do so many amazing things in my life? I still don't get it and I doubt I ever will. But that's ok to me because I don't think that we are supposed to understand life. We're just supposed to live it and enjoy ourselves. Keep it simple. That's what Mr. Rogers does.

Today is a beautiful day in the neighborhood. Most days this month have been when you think about it. Some of the things I thought were important or too difficult to accomplish were either pretty trivial or easy to do. I have to stop sweating the little things and relax. Stay in the moment. I need to realize that if I put my mind to it, I can achieve anything. I need to keep on doing that. I can write 30 articles (and 30 well thought out and poignant articles at that) in 30 days with no problems. That means that I can accomplish other goals if I stick to them and tell the "world" so that they can hold me accountable. I'm sure that if I would have missed a day one of my friends/family members would've let me know about it. But I didn't miss a day. And I'm quite proud of myself. And I know Mr. Rogers would be proud of me too.

I watched some YouTube clips from Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood and admired how simple yet effective they were. He had a way of reaching right out to you and hitting right at the heart. I can't be that succinct. I talk too much and write too much without actually saying anything. I know that but I just can't help it. It's not my style. But Mr. Rogers sure has some sweet style. I'm digging the sweater/cardigan over the button down shirt and tie. I always remember the opening to this show how he comes in the house, changes from his jacket to a sweater than changes his shoes. Everyone knows this and probably sings along with the theme song. But you want to know what I realized for the first time ever while watching those clips today? After he gives his final message at the end he starts singing the song again. He goes to change his shoes, takes those off but he doesn't put his original pair of shoes back on. He then walks to the closet and changes from the sweater back to his jacket. Immediately after that he walks out the door NOT WEARING ANY SHOES! I'm serious. I watched the end of at least 10 episodes to verify that. That's crazy man. It's a good thing that he lives in a real nice neighborhood where there is no glass or sharp objects on the ground for him to cut his feet on. I don't know what to think anymore. Mind = blown. (Upon closer inspection it looks like he is wearing slip on shoes when he enters the house and therefor can just slip back into them after taking off his tennis shoes. The camera never shows him doing this nor do they show his feet as he leaves the door. Maybe he doesn't put his original shoes back on. Maybe he does. I guess your mind is given the opportunity to figure that one out on your own. On second thought I'm thinking he slips back into his shoes. Mr. Rogers is too classy and by the book to walk around the neighborhood in only socks.)


Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas in the garden your mind. That's what I did this month. I took a small idea called The Write Month and look what it grew into. This has been an incredible journey and it was fun for me to see where I would go every single day. I only planned about half of these articles in advance and the other ones just happened as a result of me being alive and embracing the world around me. Ideas are all around us. Inspiration is waiting around every corner. You have to put yourself in a position to find them. You must be physically, mentally and emotionally ready to accept new things into your life and roll with the changes. I don't know if I am there yet but I'm getting close. Thank you for coming along with me on this one month journey and reading what I have written. It really does mean a lot to me that you care enough to check out my random ramblings. If you didn't get to check them all out simply click on the links on the right side in From the Archives. I've done plenty of interesting things here on the blog and I can guarantee you there will be plenty more in the future. So come back often neighbors.

It's such a good feeling to know you're alive. It's such a happy feeling you're growing inside. And when you wake up ready to say, "I think I'll make a snappy new day." It's such a good feeling, a very good feeling. A feeling you know that I'll be back, when the day is new. And I'll have more ideas for you. And you'll have things you'll want to talk about... I will too.

 - pookon -

No comments: