Saturday, June 22, 2013

The Write Month: June 22 - It Just Hits You, Like a Bolt of Lightning

It's not science, when you find the right idea it just hits you. It's like lightning. When I started this Write Month I had a couple of ideas in the hopper but for the most part I've just let the World take its' course to lead me to these articles. Every day I would take an idea from my head or a moment from my life and write about it. It didn't have to be the most sensational thing or the greatest idea in the history of mankind but they were always unique. Even if it was an idea that someone had before it was still unique to me and therefor could be another chapter in my life. This has been a revelation of  sorts because every day presents a new challenge to write another blog post. And every day I have succeeded with bringing you a fresh new work of art. Or at least my ramblings disguised as art. Today that work of art is something that I can not take credit for. It is an act of God. It is a storm. And lightning. And thunder. And rain. And everything else that comes with it.

It was storming when I was leaving the bar tonight after having a few post-work drinks with some friends. I drove home in the rain and I am currently sitting at the computer with the window open listening to the sounds of nature. You know there is not much more that I love than to lay back and listen to a storm. Whether I am safely indoors or inside of a tent, I become a part of the storm while listening to the droplets of rain, the wind whistling through the tress, the sound of thunder and seeing the flash of lightning light up the night sky. There's something so incredibly dangerous but also so calming about a storm that tugs at both ends of the spectrum. I feel safe but at the same time am a moment away from danger. It's a little poetic and inspiring. It makes you feel small in a way because it shows you that you are not in control of this World but at the same time you can find shelter and escape it thus preserving your existence. I love being caught up in it with nothing better to do than just experience the majesty of it all. Just like Eddie Rabbitt, I love the rainy night.

I'm big on white noise. I don't know why I had to bring race into this but it just happened that way. Sorry to all of the other noises of different colors that I offended. That was not my intent. But I need some kind of white noise to help me fall asleep. Most nights it is the TV playing a movie that I've seen 100 times. Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever. In the summer all I need is a fan. But last night I had the windows open and fell asleep to the soothing sounds of rain and the distant rumble of thunder. It rocked me to sleep like Momma rocks a wagon wheel. Hey Momma rock me.

I woke up this morning to a soft rain and it was a beautiful way to begin a new day. Sometimes things just happen for no particular reason and I'm caught up in the middle of them. Storms happen. Did I see that coming? Nope. Did I plan on writing this article? Nope. But when could I predict the weather, let alone the future? Both are so unpredictable. In fact I don't know if I want to live in a world where we know how everything is going to play out ahead of time. I don't want to be able to say that it's too bad the post office isn't as efficient as the weather service. I like chance. I like wonder. I like being amazed. I love to dance in the rain. To drink whiskey around a fire while the rain falls down around me. It's just water after all. The human body is up to 60% water so it's kind of like a reunion when water hits the surface of our skin and becomes absorbed. To me it's such a warm feeling even though the rain may be cold. It feels like home. I'd give anything to feel like that every day. 

 - pookon -

www.pookon.com
email: pookondotcom@gmail.com
http://www.facebook.com/MilwaukeeIceman
https://twitter.com/pookondotcom

No comments: