Saturday, June 08, 2013

The Write Month: June 8 - Saturday in the Park


It's weird how a certain song can conjure up a memory and make you think of a specific moment in your life that will forever be connected to that song. Like when you kissed your wife for the very first time at The Enchantment Under the Sea Dance (Earth Angel by Marvin Berry and The Starlighters). Or when you were on a tour bus recovering from one hell of a night after you proclaimed to the youth of Topeka that you are a Golden God (Tiny Dancer by Elton John). Or that time when you were walking along the railroad tracks with your 3 best friends on a quest to find a dead body (Lollipop by The Chordettes). Or that rocking church song you taught the nuns while in the witness protection program (I Will Follow Him by The Sisters of St. Katherine's). Or that time you took your top off after exiting the pool, exposing  your breasts to Judge Reinhold in his imagination (Moving in Stereo by The Cars). Or that time you finished filming an episode of your cable access show and you were driving with your buddies to get some coffee and crullers at Stan Mikita's Donuts (Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen). Those are only a few examples from movies. I award you a gold star and a pat on the back if you were able to successfully name all of them. I'm sure that you have many examples from your own life. Today I'm going to share one of mine.

As you already guessed from the video the song that conjures up a memory for me is Saturday in the Park by Chicago. The best part about it is that I fucking hate this song. But I also love it. I heard it on the radio last night as I was driving home from the bar at 130am and I cranked it up. It annoys the hell out of me. It always has. But it is ingrained in my memory as a reminder of one of the greatest days of my year - July 3rd. Ever since I was a small child I've gone down to Milwaukee's Lakefront to watch the city's Independence Day Fireworks. As I got older I started camping overnight with my little brother Timmy and we would be down there for a good 30+ hours. We didn't sleep well the night before and we were always annoyed by a guy who played his drum set underneath the nearby pavilion and drummed along to some rather awful songs including Saturday in the Park. He didn't sing or have any additional band members with him and I don't recall anyone asking him to do it or supporting his actions. He simply played the song on a CD and drummed along. It's as bad as it sounds. 

One thing I hate is people who force things upon others without giving them a choice to avoid it. One example of that is people who push their religion on you. Another is this asshole drummer who forces you to listen to shitty music because he has bigger speakers than you do. It's bullshit. He's bogarting the only power outlet in the area and making us listen to Chicago  and his monotonous drumming, which really isn't any good. Timmy was a musician and a drummer and on one hand he could appreciate someone trying to entertain the crowd, but on the other hand he could see where I was coming from and that this man was pretty much ruining what was otherwise a perfect day. Although I hate this song, it will always make me think of July 3rd at the Lakefront with Timmy and how we used to share that special day together. It's one of many memories that I will never forget and every time Saturday in the Park starts playing I can't help but be incredibly annoyed and filled with joy at the same time. It's a conflict of emotion but that's what makes it so good. I wish it was the 3rd of July. Soon.

 - pookon -

www.pookon.com

No comments: