Saturday, October 12, 2013

Pickle the Day: October 12th - Break on Through to the Other Side

The Earth fascinates me. It is a living creature that will stop at nothing to survive no matter what we try to do to stop it. The Earth doesn't give a shit about humans. It doesn't need us to survive. It was here before we were and it will be here long after we die. Even if we try our damnedest to destroy it (which mankind seems hellbent in succeeding) the Earth will rise from the ashes. It may take millions of years but it will rise again. It has happened in the past and it can happen again. Knowing this I can't believe that anyone would go out of their way to harm the environment  plants, animals or any occupant of this planet. I'm in no way an activist against government, global warming, pollution, war or any ill will that we do to harm this planet. I'm not going to campaign, protest, preach or try and change the World. I know that the World as we know it is doomed. But every now and then you are given a reminder that the World will survive.

On the way out to my car after work I saw this plant growing out of the asphalt of the parking lot. We may try to knock down all of the trees, dig up the grass and cover up the ground with pavement, but life finds a way. No matter what we try to do to prevent it from living, the Earth breaks on through to the other side. We can't stop it. We can't kill it. We can't even try and contain it. How many people in the history of the World have died from earthquakes? Floods, tsunamis, lakes and rivers? Fire? Storms, tornadoes and hurricanes? All of the other natural disasters? The Earth is fighting back. It's best just to try and live in harmony with it. That's easier said than done. I right now am using electricity which is generated by burning fossil fuels. This causes harm to the environment as does the excavating of these resources,  the building of places to use them, transfer them and dispose of them. I consume products that will ultimately we placed in a dump and buried which causes harm to the planet. I do my best to reduce, reuse and recycle but I'm not really helping in the grand scheme of things. We are fighting a losing battle against the planet because we are slowly killing it. One day it will fight back by self destructing and it kill us all.

Yeah I understand I yet again have a very morbid look on what should be a beautiful thing. For a plant to grow through a crack in the pavement takes a lot of strength, dedication and will. Instead of looking at this negatively I should be like the plant. I've got a lot of things preventing me from growing and sprouting out into the World. I will be perfectly honest and say that the majority of them are self imposed. I bring so much pain and sorrow upon myself and fail to see all of the wonderful qualities I possess. I am holding myself back and I have no one else to blame. I can't blame it on the Earth. I can't blame it on the fire. I can't blame it on the wind. I can't blame it on the rain. Only Milli Vanilli can. I can't really even blame it on my heart. And I sure as hell can't blame it on Captain Planet. "'BY YOUR POWERS COMBINED, I AM CAPTAIN PLANET!' Captain Planet, he's our hero. Gonna take pollution down to zero. He's our powers magnified and he's fighting on the planet's side. Captain Planet, he's our hero. Gonna take pollution down to zero. Gonna help him put asunder bad guys who like to loot and plunder. 'You'll pay for this Captain Planet!' 'We're the Planeteers, you can be one too! Cuz saving our planet is the thing to do! Looting and polluting is not the way! Hear what Captain Planet has to say!' 'THE POWER IS YOURS!!'" Apparently the power is mine. I guess it is time to grab hold of that power and put it to good use. I will be that plant. I will grow. I will push myself to succeed no matter what obstacles lay in my path. I will survive. And I will be back tomorrow with another pickle for you. I have a whole jar of them just waiting to be shared.

 - pookon -

www.pookon.com
https://twitter.com/pookondotcom
https://www.facebook.com/MilwaukeeIceman

No comments: