Saturday, October 19, 2013

Pickle the Day: October 19th - And They Lived Happily Ever After

It's not every day that you get to bear witness to something that restores your faith in the human race and the continuation of life overall. Just one day after going on and on about how everyone is going to die, I am reminded that everyone is also going to live. We are given a finite time to be alive and the clock has been ticking since we were first created in the womb. Some people sadly never make it past that stage. On Sunday October 7th, I flew a kite at a remembrance for people who had babies die during pregnancy or shortly after birth. So many people die seemingly young and don't get a chance to witness all of the beautiful moments that you and I have been privileged to be a part of, like the marriage of two amazing people who truly love each other. The point is, we really don't know how much time we have in this life because the number on the clock is never revealed to us until the very end. With that in mind we should always make the most of what little time we have left and chose to spend those moments in the best way possible. Obviously I'm one of those glass is half empty kind of people and don't believe in things like happiness, falling in love and all of that mumbo jumbo. But good for people who do. I wish it was that easy for me. I have all of the information gathered to solve all of my problems but I can't apply them properly. I don't know what I am going to do about that, but I'm sick of talking about me today. This isn't my day. This day belongs to Joe and Jessica Kanzleiter, or Kanzy Pants and Jessie Pants as I have come to call these two wonderful people. Their story is just beginning (officially) and I can already see the ending - And They Lived Happily Ever After.

I've known Joe for close to 10 years now or something. I've lost track because I feel like I've known him for my entire life. He went to Wauwatosa East with my brother Timmy and they worked together at Little Caesar's in the Village, although we wouldn't become friends until he started college at UWM. I'm not going to get into great detail about all of the things we've done since then but here at the highlights: we both worked at the Union and when he was at Burger King he made the most delicious item not on the menu - the Kanz Sandwich. I repaid the favor with a Sunrise Melt in the Terrace. We lived together (along with Paul) above Vitucci's and also on Farwell just off of Brady. During those years we had some of the best times I can and can't remember. He is the greatest beer pong player I've ever known and I still can't beat him 1 on 1. That's why I usually team up with him. We played together for 3 or 4 seasons in the CHBPL and Years 3, 4 and 5 of the World Series of Beer Pong in Las Vegas. With him I won my only CHBPL Championship which cemented my place in CHBPL Hall of Fame. We share a love of movies and especially the Kevin Smith films. We love beer and brewery tours and he has been a big part of the Trifecta of Brewery Tours that we do every fall. He's the reason I have a Green Bay Packers tattoo because I lost a bet during the 2010 season when the Packers won the Super Bowl. There are so many more things that we've done together, but I don't need to list them all. I lived them. But I would be remorse if I spent all of this time talking about what we did instead of talking about who he is. Joey Kanz is an exceptionally great person with the biggest heart. He's so damn lovable.

I can totally understand why Jess is in love with Joe and wants to spend the rest of her life with him. I would too. I love me some Joey Kanz. I just want to give him a big ol' hug every time I see him. He is the nicest, most genuine person I know. And he cares so much. I remember when he first started dating Jess. You could tell there was something different about him. He was all nervous, like he knew he didn't want to screw this one up, that this one was special. When Joe loves someone or something he goes all in. He's completely dedicated to it almost to a fault. While this may hurt him in other areas of life, here it will help through all the trials and tribulations of a marriage. He will never quit. He will always love her. He will do whatever it takes to protect her and make her happy. He will love her every single day and never forget how amazing life is and how lucky he is to have found her. I don't know Jess as well as I should but I promise to change that. I do blame myself for that though. I've kind of been in a fog for the last few years and I haven't really taken the time to get to know anyone new. And I've ignored a lot of friendships in the meantime. But I do know that I get a really good feeling about her. She's been nothing but kind to me and feels very welcoming. All I ever ask of people is to accept me for who I am, and I am able to be myself around her. I know that she makes Joe a better person because she perfectly compliments his personality. She's challenged him to improve himself on the inside and outside. She has given him a reason to live. We should all be so lucky.


I've been there for many moments in their lives, and I was honored to be a part of their biggest so far. Marriage is a very special thing. It's something you look forward to your entire life. Trust me when I say that no one wants to be alone, no matter how much they stress that they don't need any one else. Humans seek companionship. It's not always romantic. We have friends. We have roommates. I have my cat. Maybe someday I will have my Happily Ever After. I don't really have any control over that. For the time being I suppose that I just have to share in the joy of others. Everyone else seems to be having so much joy in their lives right now. And why shouldn't they? There are so many wonderful things in this World to be happy for and be happy about. They can see them but I can't for some reason. I'm blind to positive thinking and happiness in this World. But if there is hope for other people, then there is hope for me as well. Hope might be the next pickle that I share with you. Who knows man. I've got a whole jar of them just waiting to be shared and not even I know what's in store for us. Not all of us can see how our story ends.

 - pookon -

www.pookon.com
https://twitter.com/pookondotcom
https://www.facebook.com/MilwaukeeIceman

No comments: