Thursday, October 03, 2013

Pickle the Day: October 3rd - Nothing But Flowers

I don't appreciate the outdoors enough. I would blame my office job for keeping me couped up in a cubicle for 40+ hours a week but there are 24 hours in the day. There should be no excuse for not being able to get outside and check out all of the wonderful things that God has given us, like flowers. We have taken these naturally existing things and improved upon them by making them live longer, appear more colorful and even crossbreed them to create new species. The result is a pleasing display of beauty that I sometimes casually notice but for the most part ignore. I never stop to smell the flowers.

I take the same route to work every morning. I see pavement, cars and stoplights. I hardly even notice all of the other things that the city/Mother Nature has done to prevent this place from becoming a concrete jungle. Yesterday morning while waiting at the stoplight I looked to the left instead of staring anxiously at the red light to turn. And I saw flowers. I only looked at them for about 15 seconds before I had to move on, but in that 15 seconds I wished that I saw nothing but flowers. I'm tired of the garbage. I'm tired of the advertisements. I'm tired of the distractions that prevent me from really seeing the world. But mostly I'm tired of myself for not opening my eyes to the beauty all around me. It was just a small bed of flowers, but it stood as a reminder that there is always something worth looking at in the middle of this barren oasis.

I don't get out enough. I don't take advantage of what little amount of time we have good weather here in Wisconsin. I live my life on the internet instead of in the real world. And even though I'm writing this on an online blog, as I type, I am sitting outside on a rock as the sun beats down on me. Such a beautiful October day. It makes me wish that Winter will have the decency to stay away this year and we can all enjoy the wonders of the outdoors without freezing our asses off. That's never going to happen, so instead I'm going to make the most of the precious few days that we have left before outdoors turns into a harsher climate than the planet of Hoth. I hope that some freezing asshole doesn't try to cut me open so they can sleep inside of me for the night to survive. And I thought he smelt bad......................... on the outside. Come back tomorrow for another pickle. I've got a full jar of them just waiting to be shared.

 - pookon -

www.pookon.com
https://www.facebook.com/MilwaukeeIceman
https://twitter.com/pookondotcom

No comments: