Wednesday, October 09, 2013

Pickle the Day: October 9th - Some of the Best Nights I Cannot Remember

Everyone gets nostalgic. That's why old fashions come back, oldies radio stations exist, childhood movies play on cable TV and people won't stop talking about the good old days. I'll admit to being a victim of nostalgic thoughts, particularly about some of the best years of my life from 2003 - 2006. There were so many amazing things going on back then that I would love to revisit - June's Blanket, Godsplash, my last couple years of college, working at UWM surrounded by all of my friends, the 1st World Series of Beer Pong, all of the Brewers road trips I used to take and just my overall view on life at the time. I would go back and live those days again in a heartbeat. One such thing that I look back fondly on as well is the Cramer House Beer Pong League (CHBPL) played at 2831 Cramer. I passed by there yesterday on my way to my sister's house and remembered some of the good times, but I also didn't remember some of the other times. Even though it felt great to be good at something (beer pong) and to be a popular figure both on campus and in the beer pong world (the Iceman), I wouldn't want to do that over again if given the chance. There's just too many nights that I spent there that I cannot remember. I used to play beer pong until I was so drunk that I could barely stand. My competitive nature made me challenge anyone that said yes. And a loss always turned into a best of 3 or a best of 5. There was no quit. I never accepted failure. And most nights I'm surprised I got home. Thankfully I always lived within stumbling distance. I've also thrown up in many lawns and bushes from Cramer to Frederick and Newberry to Bradford. I'm surprised I lived through it.

I could tell you about all of the times that I do remember at the Cramer House. But I'm not going to. That's a part of my life I really only talk about with the people who were there. You can probably fill in the blanks though if you already know the outline. Sometimes I hate being old (as if 32 was old) but there are times when I'm glad that I act my age and I'm not trying to be me 10 years ago. Every so often I go down to the Eastside to hang out with my Sister and even though it brings back those memories (I lived in numerous apartments in all of the neighborhoods for 10 years), I don't miss it. There are a lot of things that I would go back and relive if given the chance so that I could appreciate them more. This is not one of them. I think I did it pretty damn good on the first try. In life I need to keep moving forward and having new adventures even if they aren't going to be as good as my old ones. But the whole point of it is that they are new. And tomorrow I will have a new pickle for you. I've got a whole jar of them just waiting to be shared.

 - pookon -

www.pookon.com
https://twitter.com/pookondotcom
https://www.facebook.com/MilwaukeeIceman

No comments: