Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Pickle the Day: October 23rd - Shall We Have A Sitdown?

When Jenny, Timmy and I all worked at the UWM Union, Shaun of the Dead was a big movie for us. We used to go sledding in the Winter and then watch it with a couple cups of hot cocoa. Shaun and Ed are British, so naturally they talk a little different that we do. We copied them because we loved the movie so much. Instead of asking me to go on break, Timmy would say, "Shall we have a sitdown?" and I always would, even if I already had a sitdown. That's where the title and inspiration of today's pickle comes from. I asked my buddy and co-worker Mike Wilhelm to have a sitdown on Tuesday night. Actually I asked him more than 2 months ago but we had to keep canceling and rescheduling for various reasons. We try to have a sitdown every month so we can talk candidly about life, work, sports and everything else that doesn't matter as much. We sit in adjoining cubicles and can talk over the wall but have to maintain a certain professionalism with our topics and word choices. Plus we have to be sober. That's why we meet after work at a bar where none of that matters and we can be free to say whatever the hell we want without being sent to HR. 

Everyone needs an opportunity to vent/bitch and someone to listen. Whether you care to admit it or not, we all do it. Some people talk to therapists while some air out all their complaints to Facebook. We all just want to be heard because we want to feel like we matter. I say shit all the time that people don't read this but they do. People actually care. And I love it. I don't say shit on here intentionally to get people concerned about my well being. That's bullshit. I wouldn't manipulate people like that. I simply just say what is on my mind, be it good or bad. Sometimes I have a friend on the other side of the bar table and we're trading stories in between sips of tall boy PBRs and Old Styles. Sometimes it's a never ending text message conversation where 3 conversations are happening at the same time. Sometimes I might randomly stop by your house on the way home from work. But most of the time I just put my thoughts on the blog as my way of getting it out my head. If I don't get my thoughts and feelings out they just kind of sit there and drive me crazy. I used to bottle up my feelings and shit and it made me a ticking time bomb. This blog has been in operation since 2005 and has given me the chance to speak when there isn't anyone around to listen. It's doesn't always solve the problem, but at least it helps. Today's pickle was someone who helped, and there is a full jar of new pickles that do various things just waiting to be shared tomorrow and every day in the month of October.

 - pookon -

www.pookon.com
https://twitter.com/pookondotcom
https://www.facebook.com/MilwaukeeIceman

No comments: