Wednesday, October 02, 2013

Pickle the Day: October 2nd - Tapping the Keg

It's no secret that I love the Milwaukee Brewers and their home stadium Miller Park. Oh wait, you didn't know that? ***SPOILER ALERT*** I'm a diehard Milwaukee Brewers fan. My entire life revolves around this team. Well it is mostly in the Summer, but not even the Green Bay Packers or Milwaukee Bucks can take me away from Hot Stove chatter involving trades and free agent signings. I decided 12 years ago that I wanted to be around Miller Park and the Brewers as much as possible so I got a job there. During my time there I have built some great friendships with my co-workers, my employers and the fans. The first 2 are what brought me to take this picture on October 1st. At the end of the baseball season the management team throws a year end party with food, entertainment and a raffle for prizes at Helfaer Field, the little league field built in the footprints of old Milwaukee County Stadium. I stood on what used to be home plate at County Stadium and got a sweet picture of Miller Park as the sun was starting to go down. Miller Park is a cathedral to me. It doesn't replace a church and I'm not trying to say that baseball is my God or anything (because the 1st Commandment is thou shalt not have any other gods besides me) but I suppose I do kind of treat it like a religion.

That's about all that I'm going to get into that. I could sit here and list reasons why I treat my favorite sports team like I would my faith, but that's not the point of this article. On Tuesday night I was treated to a free dinner with all the nachos I could eat, a great backdrop to gaze upon and the company of some really good friends who seem to get better as the years go by. We have formed a family unit by now which might seem weird to some people but think about the people that you work with. Hopefully you work in a fun and exciting environment like Miller Park but if you don't then imagine being in a situation where people are there not because they have to be, but because they want to be. I'm sure that most people need the money but we set our own schedules and I'm tempted to work as many games a possible to be around my family there. That's such a hard thing to balance considering how much I love to tailgate, wear my sombrero and get all rowdy with my people in the leftfield bleachers. But I manage (yeah like it's really hard to do) to do both and my Summer just seems to fly by every year because I'm having so much fun. This picture of Miller Park makes me think of all the good times and memories that I have made there (and there have been a whole lot) but there is also something very sad about it at the same time. It's a very long and cold Winter until Opening Day on Monday March 31, 2014. And in case you haven't noticed, I'm already counting down the days until Pitchers and Catchers report to Spring Training, which is the "official" start of the baseball season for diehard fans like me. So that's Miller Park. Chances are you've been there before and you already knew how much I love it. But I just had to show you and say it one more time. Come back tomorrow for another pickle. I've got a full jar of them just waiting to be shared.

 - pookon - 

www.pookon.com
https://www.facebook.com/MilwaukeeIceman
https://twitter.com/pookondotcom

No comments: