Tuesday, October 01, 2013

Pickle the Day: October 1st - Caution Hole

I had a lot of fun back in June of this year when I did an experiment called "The Write Month". If you are new to this blog or haven't been here in a while, it's ed zachary like it sounds - I devoted a month to writing. I wrote a new post every day here on the blog. Some of them were serious, some were outlandish and some were just flat out wrong. If you missed any of them go to June in "From the Archives" on the main page. I tried to brainstorm 30 days worth of topics ahead of time, but for the most part I just kind of let them come to me. I kept my eyes and ears open for ideas and allowed myself to be inspired by the World around me. I had such a good time with it that I decided to do something for October. But as the days got closer I realized that I couldn't do another Write Month. That was pretty intense and time consuming. Plus why do something that you've already done if you can try something new? That's when the idea for Pic of the Day came to mind. 

This was something that would be really easy and also very entertaining for me to do. I'm surrounded by things in this World. Things that make me laugh, things that make me cry, things that conjure up a memory from my youth, beautiful things in nature, people that help to shape my life and countless other things that catch my eye. This is a visual exercise. I'm challenging myself to take a picture of something every day, share it on the blog and explain why I chose it, how it inspired me, made me laugh or whatever else I could use to describe its' inclusion for that day. My one rule is that the picture needs to be taken on that day or the day before as a way to prevent me from planning out or writing multiple posts in advance. The reason behind that is that I'm trying to keep myself in a position to be open every day to new ideas and if they don't hit me by cosmic chance then I will have to go and seek them out. It will keep life fresh and new every day because in some little way I'm being a part of something bigger than myself and creating something new. Plus I also get to share my experiences with you. So we all win! #victory!

When I was leaving work yesterday I saw this sign that said "Caution Hole" and I immediately started giggling like an immature little boy. Heh heh. Hole. I'm still laughing about it today. I don't know why the word hole makes me laugh (well, I kind of do. It has to do with butthole) but I pray that it always will and that I never lose my juvenile sense of humor. I was having a pretty bad day up until that point and when I saw that sign everything changed. I laughed all the way to my car, rolled down the windows and cackled wildly as I was leaving the work parking lot. On the way home I sang along with the radio in a real obnoxious voice and I made up some songs about Chewbacca complete with a Wookie roar. People next to me at the stop light must have been quickly rolling up their windows and counting the seconds until the light turned green, but I didn't mind. I was locked in my own little world and I had thrown away the key. Welcome to Insane Town, population 3-5 depending on which voices in my head are talking that day. 

Ok, so I'm not really crazy (although some people might say that is debatable) but most of the time I really don't give a shit about what people think about me or how I act. If it is funny, I'm going to laugh. I'm too old to be hiding my emotions from the World and pretending to be someone I'm not. Hole is funny god damn it. So that's today's pickle of the day. I suppose I should probably explain that one. I meant this to be called Pic (as in picture) of the Day but when I said it out loud I said pickle by mistake. And then I laughed when I said pickle. I love pickles. So that is where the title for this month's feature was born. Come back tomorrow for another pickle. I've got a full jar of them just waiting to be shared. 

 - pookon -

www.pookon.com

No comments: