Saturday, October 26, 2013

Pickle the Day: October 26th - If Jesus was a Carpenter, God Must Have Been a Painter

Yesterday I talked about how I don't understand art. Well that's not entirely true. I should clarify - I don't understand some forms of art. I don't think that I am meant to. I don't understand how God works either. That I for sure know I am not meant to. God works in mysterious ways. We've all heard that so many times that it's getting old by now. But it's true. It really is. Since I complained about the shitty art hanging in my office building God gave me a reminder that there are all sorts of art forms in this World and they mean different things to different people. Case in point - I love sunsets. Say what you want about it but I don't care. I'm that guy. I don't don't cry or anything and write sonnets about them. I'm not that emotionally unstable when the sun goes away for the night. But I could sit and stare out to the West and watch the sun slowly fall beyond the horizon line. What follows (if you're lucky) is a grand display of colors and shading that only God could paint. Sure, I've seen artists try and capture sunsets through paintings and they're all nice and everything, but nothing can be as good as or beat the real thing. Photographs come close, but they still can't capture the scope and the feeling of being there and experiencing it for yourself. I'd give anything to be at the Ocean right about now. Sunsets are cool and everything, but the addition of a large body of water adds to the experience. We have Lake Michigan here in Wisconsin but it is to the East. The sun sets in the West. You do the math.

This one was easy. I just walked outside and found the pickle that I was looking for. For the most part I don't plan these in advance. That was one rule. Sometimes I have an idea but then it completely changes if something else happens. I'll admit that I was looking for something like this. Yesterday I said, "Tomorrow I will try to find some art. I will try to find some beauty in a place where others might see nothing. Or maybe I won't. That is the greatest thing about this adventure. I have no idea what I will see tomorrow and what pickle I will share with you." A lot of people see sunsets. Duh. They're kind of obvious and right there in front of your face every single night. But people see them differently and take something different away from them. Or they see it and move on. That's what is so wonderful about humans. We're all the same yet we are so incredibly different. It truly is an insane idea if you think about it. Two people can look at the same thing and each have a unique take on it. I don't know how this works but I love it.


I don't know how the World was created, how I have managed to stay alive for 32 years, how Earth is supposedly the only planet that can sustain life, how there are forms of life that live on this planet that we haven't even discovered yet, how clouds can look like certain objects, why each sunset is different, how man has figured out how to get to outer space, how Horton was able to hear a Who, how in the name of Zeus' BUTTHOLE did John Mason (Sean Connery) manage to get out of his cell because in our current situation it could prove to be useful information MAYBE, how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll Pop or a million other things that I don't know how they happen or work. That is what is so amazing about life. There is beauty everywhere even if we don't see it at the time. Today's pickle was right in front of my face but I don't know what tomorrow will bring. What I do know is that somewhere there is a jar with a couple of pickles left in it (we're running out of days in October) that are waiting to be shared. Come back tomorrow to see another one. Just make sure that you don't cry at the sunset in the meantime. Or do whatever you want. I won't judge you.

 - pookon -

www.pookon.com
https://twitter.com/pookondotcom
https://www.facebook.com/MilwaukeeIceman

No comments: