Monday, October 28, 2013

Pickle the Day: October 28th - People Let Me Tell You 'Bout My Best Friend


People, let me tell you about my best friend. I'm sure that I've mentioned Major Korben Dallas on this blog before or on Facebook, but just in case you are new to these parts, here he is. And yes, he is a cat. No offense to my human best friends, but I spend more time with my cat then any other living thing on this planet. Despite working 40+ hours a week (more in the summer) and trying to to have a life, I spend most of my free time at home. This is by choice mostly. I would just rather dress how I want (pants optional), kick back and do whatever I feel like doing. Most of the time that's working on various projects that are internet based. While this is mostly because this is my true passion, it is also because the majority of my friends are busy with their own lives due to being in a relationship, having children or being too cool to sit at home with their cat on a Friday night. I'm not complaining because I had the opportunity to go out and do something on both Friday and Saturday night this weekend and I turned them both down. Instead Korben and I watched Pacific Rim on bluray on Friday and Game 3 of the World Series on Saturday. He's my best friend and he doesn't leave the house, so if I want to hang out with him I can't leave the house either.

I have a history of loving my pets too much. I had Coach Gordon Bombay from 2006 - 2012 and he was my BFF. Unfortunately he didn't last forever and I had to say goodbye when he was only 8 years old. I still think about him all the time. He was the greatest cat ever. But don't tell that to Korben Dallas. I've had him for one year now and it took a while for us to bond. He used to bite me almost every day when I would try and pet him and I would tell everyone that my cat is an asshole. But he's my asshole. He has problems because he's from the streets. He runs around the apartment like he's trying to save the World or something and makes so much noise all the time. He cries like a little baby when he's hungry (he's about 3 years old) and stares at me when he's not sleeping. I have hundreds of pictures already (yeah I'm that guy) but the "photobomb" one here is probably my favorite. We hang out just like two dudes would only I call him sweetheart. I guess some dudes call each other sweetheart. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I talk to him like he can understand me and able to respond back. Despite trying to teach him the English language so he can use his words instead of his meows, it's still a one-way conversation. But it's the best conversation that I have all day because even if he judges me, he's doing it silently. Plus I can flip him off and there's not a damn thing he can do about it except stare back. Who flips off an animal? I suppose that I do. But I do it out of love. He's my best friend.

I have a lot of friends. And an awesome family. I've been lucky in life to get to know a lot of people and have those people accept me for who I am. I don't hang out with all of them nearly as much as I should but that's because I'm at home with my cat. So if you have a problem with that stop on over at my house. I promise I will be there. I bet a lot of you out there know exactly how I feel. A lot of people have dogs, cats, rabbits, ferrets, goldfish and helper monkeys living at their homes that they have become attached to. I'm sure there are even some of you out there who are in way deeper than I am. I don't litter Facebook with his pictures and I certainly don't dress him up in silly little outfits. I'm weird and everything, but there's a line that I don't cross. Weirdos. But not that there's anything wrong with that. I could go on and on about my friendship with my cat but some things are better left unsaid. The most important thing is that he is always here for me when I get home. Most days I don't anyone else in the World. But he loves me, he needs me for survival and he misses me when I am gone. I don't really get that feeling from anyone else in my life. Every one else will be just fine if I disappear for a few days. Their lives will go one. His will stand still. I have a responsibility. In some small weird way, I have a reason to live. If I'm gone then he will be too. That's why I can't go anywhere. Korben Dallas is too important to me. That little bastard is my best friend. And he's also my pickle today. There's only a few of them left and the jar is looking rather empty. I'm reaching towards the bottom and coming up empty. Who knows what will be here tomorrow.

- pookon -

www.pookon.com
https://twitter.com/pookondotcom
https://www.facebook.com/MilwaukeeIceman

No comments: